How to vote in Tuesday's UNC Student Government general election

20220106_Wilder_File-17.jpg
The Old Well is pictured on Thursday, Jan. 6, 2022.

The UNC spring 2022 general election will be held Tuesday with races for student body president, senior class officers, Residence Hall Association president, Carolina Athletic Association president and positions in the Undergraduate Senate on the ballot.

Here's what you need to know ahead of Election Day:

How can I vote? 

Polls will be open Tuesday from midnight to midnight for student body president, RHA president and CAA president. For senior class officers and Undergraduate Senate races, polls will close at 8 p.m. 

Students who did not make the ballot can still run as write-in candidates, but must complete the Board of Election's training mechanism and other requirements.

To vote, the BOE said students can log on to Heel Life with their Onyen and click on the banner in the top of the page. The election link will be live beginning at 12 a.m. on Tuesday.

What positions are up for election?

The UNC Student Government advocates for students in University issues and works alongside administration to build community and plan campus initiatives, according to the BOE.

The student body president is an executive officer of student government and an ex-officio member of the UNC Board of Trustees — representing the entire student body of undergraduate, graduate and professional students. Candidates who received at least 1,000 petition signatures are certified to run on the ballot.

This year's certified student body president candidates are Ethan Phillips, Sage Staley, Sam Robinson and Taliajah "Teddy" Vann, the BOE announced Friday

The elected candidate will begin their term in April, succeeding current Student Body President Lamar Richards.

The student constituency that does not occupy the office of the student body president will also elect a president to serve as executive officer of their specific interests. The person will either be the undergraduate president or Graduate and Professional Student Government president. 

The senior class officers will serve as official representatives of the Class of 2023, and work with the General Alumni Association to build community. They lead the senior class campaign, and the class president will give a speech at commencement.

Running unopposed for senior class president and senior class vice president are Kartik Tyagi and Keisha Solanki, the BOE announcement said. 

All seats for the Undergraduate Senate are up for election, according to the BOE. Elected senators represent districts that are made up of related majors. Undergraduate Senate tasks include overseeing the appointment of certain student fees to student organizations and approving appointments to some University committees.

According to the BOE, two of the nine districts within Undergraduate Senate have no certified candidates running.

Also on the ballot, the RHA president oversees community governments within RHA and represents all students living in campus residence halls and Granville Towers. The RHA president will communicate with the University and Department of Housing and Residential Education. 

Nate Worley is running for RHA president unopposed, the BOE announcement said.

The CAA President serves as a student representative to Carolina Athletics and the Athletic Department. According to the BOE, there are currently there are no certified candidates running for this position.

@alliemkelly