Former City & State Editor Guillermo Molero will be 2022-23 editor-in-chief

20210815_Cruz_Headshot_Guillermo-1.jpg

Guillermo Molero, former City & State editor, will be the 2022-23 editor-in-chief of The Daily Tar Heel.

Guillermo Molero was selected to be the editor-in-chief of The Daily Tar Heel for the 2022-23 academic year on Saturday.

Molero, a junior, joined the DTH in 2019 as a City & State staff writer. Last semester, he served as the City & State desk editor.

“After relief, it was a sense of ‘Okay, let’s get to it,'" Molero said. “There’s a lot to be done and not a lot of time to do it."

In the fall, Molero was originally an assistant editor for the City & State desk. However, after a sudden change in leadership, he was promoted to desk editor.

This adaptability is what made Molero stand out, Steven Norton, the 2011-12 DTH editor-in-chief, said. He added that Molero has a strong understanding of the dynamic setting of a newsroom.

“He understands how quickly things move, especially in a newsroom setting,” Norton said. “He’s able to roll with the punches and do what’s best based on what needs to be done.”

He also said Molero understands that the media industry as a whole is evolving, demonstrated by his ideas for multimedia projects, podcasts and social media.

Molero's platform includes reviving and expanding the DTH's podcast network and pushing for increased video content.

"This isn't just a newspaper," Molero said. "This is a news organization. So we can put more of our eggs into the emerging baskets of multimedia journalism."

UNC senior Adam Lucek, student advertising director at the DTH, said Molero's emphasis on increasing communication between departments in the newsroom was a key aspect of his platform.

Molero said he hopes to create a newsroom environment that is inclusive and fun for everyone involved in the news process, from incoming staffers to management. 

Before working in the newsroom, he said he didn't understand that everyone can be part of something bigger than themselves — and he wants to open this up to everyone. 

"That's what the DTH is supposed to be," Molero said. "It's not just the news. It's a family."

Cate Doty, adjunct professor at the Hussman School of Journalism and Media, said she hopes Molero will hold the University accountable for its wrongdoings.

"I hope to see the DTH continue to hold the administration's feet to the fire," she said. 

Lucek said Molero's diversity, equity and inclusion efforts were an integral part of his platform, and he is excited to see the DTH grow in these areas.

"He also talks a lot about diversity and his hope for increasing diversity and inclusion, which has been something that we've been increasingly trying to do," Lucek said.

As with every incoming editor-in-chief, Norton said he is interested to see the ways in which Molero will engage with different communities at all levels — from the University to the state of North Carolina.

"I think that he really understands, based on his experience at the DTH, all of the different communities that the paper and The Daily Tar Heel serve," he said.

Before the job officially begins, Molero said he wants to reach out to student groups and community members to ensure that underrepresented voices are heard.

Molero said he is excited to help the DTH reach new heights, and feels ready to take on the task.

“I’m excited,” he said. “As crazy as it is to say, I feel ready. And I’m really looking forward to getting the ball rolling.”

@laurmccarthyy

editor@dailytarheel.com