Editor-in-chief candidate Guillermo Molero aims to expand DTH coverage and diversity

20210815_Cruz_Headshot_Guillermo-1.jpg

Guillermo Molero, former City & State editor, will be the 2022-23 editor-in-chief of The Daily Tar Heel.

Three years ago, Guillermo Molero joined The Daily Tar Heel to learn a few new things.

Since then, he has led the City & State desk, written stories on The Golden Globes and worn a full suit for four hours while doing a livestream about municipal elections.

The former City & State editor is running to be the paper’s next editor-in-chief. Molero's platform includes broadening the scope of DTH content, continuing to expand diversity, strengthening community relations and putting a stronger focus on mental health in the newsroom.

During his time at the DTH, Molero has covered a range of topics, with a focus on the N.C. General Assembly, budgets, Town meetings and breaking news. Along with City & State coverage, he has also published pieces for the Opinion desk — writing movie reviews and following award ceremonies.

Molero said his desire to learn about a variety of topics has been constant.

“I want to know everything about as many things as I can, as much as possible," he said. "I look for information everywhere I can find it, all of the time. It’s what first got me interested about government in middle school and why I got into journalism.”

Molero is a current junior studying journalism and political science with a minor in history. He began working at the DTH his first year as a staff writer for the City & State desk, and he was promoted to a senior writer his sophomore year.

Last semester, he served as the editor for the desk.

UNC adjunct journalism professor Margaret Moffett, who taught Molero last year, said in an email that he has the qualities it takes to be the paper's editor.

“To lead the DTH, the editor-in-chief must first understand the most important principles of journalism: accuracy, fairness and unimpeachable ethical standards," Moffett said. "Guillermo's got all of that down."

Last fall when he returned to the DTH, Molero was expecting to be the assistant City & State editor. But after a sudden change of leadership, he stepped up to the role of the desk editor within a matter of days.

“I’ve always thought of myself as someone that is ready for any challenge, even the ones that I don’t expect,” Molero said. “As a desk editor, after a few weeks, I was really able to find my footing and feel confident in the role I was in. Even though just a few months before, I couldn’t have imagined doing it.”

Some of the most fulfilling lessons he has gained while being a desk editor are from interactions with other journalists. He said creating relationships while trying to teach and learn simultaneously is a great experience.

Emmy Martin, the current assistant City & State editor, said that Molero’s leadership and guidance helped her understand the newsroom's workflow and the principles of being an editor.

“He really taught me how to do everything journalistically — writing, editing, interviewing,” she said. “He did a really good job with the transition because, as a new writer, it’s really overwhelming to go from zero to 100 like we do at The Daily Tar Heel. I think if he’s that good with beginning staffers, he’ll do really well with the overall team."

Molero’s flexibility and ability to accept challenges have helped develop his passion for learning, journalism and leadership.

His plans for the newsroom include a focus on long-form and solutions journalism, as well as increasing communication with readers.

“This is not just someone who is looking to add something to a resume,” DTH Sports Editor PJ Morales, a longtime friend of Molero, said. “This is not just someone who wants to gain the cool title of being the EIC. This is someone who wants to do their best for the people he works with and the community he works with.”

To Molero, the DTH is a learning tool, friend, teacher and a second home. If selected to be the next editor-in-chief, he hopes to continue contributing to the growth and success of the newsroom.

“I have some ideas drawing from ideas in the past, and also new ideas that I can bring into the fold that can help the DTH really grow," Molero said.

@livvreilly