UNC softball ties its series against Boston College, winning

IMG_6864.jpg
Graduate shortstop Sara Jubas (14) goes to pass the ball to first base to get a Penn State runner out. The Heels lost 0-12 on Friday, March 4, 2022

The UNC softball team (13-10, 1-1 ACC) gets a couple late runs to get the 5-3 victory against Boston College (12-8, 1-1 ACC) and avenge its loss earlier in the day. 

Senior starting pitcher Hannah George got off to a good start, keeping the Eagles hitless in the opening inning. After having difficulties on offense in the first game of the doubleheader, the Tar Heels were on the scoreboard at their first at-bat, getting a leadoff home run from junior outfielder Bri Stubbs. Later in the first inning, senior catcher Taylor Greene got a single to put runners on first and second base. A Boston College error got one of those runners home to make it a 2-0 game.

After junior infielder Katie Perkins got an error, she responded by getting a double play to keep the Eagles scoreless midway through the second inning. At the bottom of the same inning, junior Destiny Middleton stole second base and caused another Eagle misthrow to advance to third base. However, North Carolina was not able to convert with Middleton in a good scoring position. 

UNC’s third hit came in the third inning when graduate transfer shortstop Sara Jubas crushed a line-drive ball towards the left side of the outfield. The Tar Heels got another single thanks to first-year utility player Alex Brown to load the bases, but they couldn’t translate it into any runs. 

Both offenses went cold due to solid pitching on both ends. While neither pitcher had many strikeouts, they made it hard on the batters by forcing groundouts. But the drought was broken in the fifth inning by a Boston College home run to tie the game at two. After the Tar Heels left runners on base, the Eagles almost had another home run but the ball fell inches short of the wall and into the glove of Stubbs. 

Despite the Eagles just missing out on a home run, they were able to get multiple runners on base and got a run off of a fielder's choice to take a 3-2 lead. However, the inning wasn’t done just yet. A walk gave Boston College three runners on base, but the Tar Heels prevented any more scores. 

After two walks and an errant pitch, North Carolina had runners on second and third base with Jubas at the plate. With no more outs to spare in the sixth inning, the former James Madison Duke Dog sent a clutch double to center field to give her team a 4-3 advantage. A Greene single at the next at-bat gave the Tar Heels a two-run lead. 

The Eagles stayed alive with a single in the seventh inning, but Stubbs caught a fly to get the final out and clinch a 5-3 victory. 

Jubas was the hero of the night, getting the late double to give her team a lead they’d never relinquish. She finished with two hits and a team-high two RBIs. 

Greene also had two hits and gave her team an insurance run after Jubas’ score. She also got a single that helped set up her team’s second run of the game. 

Jubas’ double put the game back into the Tar Heels’ control after losing an early 2-0 lead. It was a much-needed score as UNC went scoreless for four straight innings prior, leaving several runners on base during that drought. 

The Eagles were able to win game one and get their first win in Chapel Hill in 33 years and were coming into the second game with all the momentum so it was crucial for UNC to come in and force a rubber match.

The victory gives the Tar Heels their first conference win of the season and chance to win the series on Sunday. 

The Tar Heels will face the Eagles one more time on Sunday at noon to conclude the series. 

@ryanheller23