UNC football's NFL hopefuls show off in front of scouts at Pro Day

20220328PD315.jpg
Quarterback Sam Howell opens drills during NFL Pro Day on Monday, March 28, 2022, at the Bill Koman Practice Complex.

Personnel from all 32 NFL teams packed inside Bill Koman Practice Complex on Monday morning to catch a glimpse of Sam Howell, Ty Chandler and 10 other draft-eligible players from the UNC football team at Monday's Pro Day.

Howell, a top-five quarterback prospect in the 2022 NFL Draft, had scouts’ eyes locked on him all day as he strived to be the eighth North Carolina quarterback drafted since 1960 and the first since Mitchell Trubisky in 2017.

After only participating in throwing drills at the NFL Scouting Combine in early March due to a calf injury, Howell recognized the need to show off those skills he wasn’t able to at the beginning of the month. 

“The main thing is being consistent with the footwork,” Howell said. “Showing them I can do the footwork they are doing in the NFL, it’s probably the main difference in what we did here in college and what they are doing in the NFL.”

Still, the junior signal-caller impressed teams with his arm talent as he slung the ball from sideline to sideline on a variety of routes during a 66-play throwing session.

Most notably, his deep ball accuracy was on full display as he showcased his ability to hit receivers in stride. Overall, just three of Howell’s passes fell incomplete.

Although Howell said he felt happy with his performance, UNC is reportedly scheduling a second throwing session to accommodate NFL head coaches and general managers busy with owner's meetings this week.

“Every chance I get to throw in front of people that are going to make a decision, it’s super exciting,” Howell said. “I like to throw every chance I get.”

Helping Howell during his throwing session was Chandler, a projected Day 3 selection by NFL scouts. Chandler showcased his versatility in the passing game with his route-running abilities and consistent hands out of the backfield.

“He’s such a good runner from the running back position," Howell said. "Everyone knows he can do it from the running back position, but really, his ability to be a weapon in the passing game is what makes Ty special."

Aside from the air attack, Chandler upheld his reputation as a 1,000-yard rusher during the 2021 season with his quickness and power in running back drills led by NFL personnel.

With both the NFL Combine and his Pro Day behind him, Chandler is now focused on joining Michael Carter and Javonte Williams as the next members of the UNC backfield drafted to the league in the past two years.

“I’ve just been grinding, working hard on these drills, and now it’s all about starting that transition to get more into football stuff,” Chandler said.

On the other side of the ball, senior linebacker Jeremiah Gemmel got ready to shake the dust off after recovering from surgery on his left shoulder.

“I am 10 weeks out from surgery, so I really just got cleared two weeks ago to flip my hips and move around,” Gemmel said. “Going through the drills, it felt like I did a really good job.”

The injury barely seemed to affect Gemmel, as he was able to participate in position, agility and 3-cone drills, only being kept out of the bench press.

Despite his on-field talent, it is off the field where the two-time team captain excels with his leadership and attention to tape. Known as “The General” by his teammates, Gemmel was the undisputed leader of a defensive unit that struggled during the season, ranking 94th in total offense allowed per game.

Gemmel is projected as a versatile linebacker at the next level who can cover sideline-to-sideline with his lateral speed and instincts.

Although the Tar Heels will lose a defensive leader in Gemmel, as well as offensive captains Chandler and Howell and a plethora of key veterans, there is optimism about head coach Mack Brown's new squad for the upcoming season.

“This past Saturday at the scrimmage, the defense looked like they are flying around," Gemmel said. "And one thing I noticed that we always bring but was on another level on Saturday was the energy."