UNC softball goes 1-1 on Day Two of Georgia Classic against Bryant and No. 15 Georgia

IMG_5404.jpg
The blue scrimmage team celebrates graduate Sara Jubas (14) on her home run by throwing her into the air. UNC Softball scrimmaged at G. Anderson Stadium on Monday, Jan. 31, 2022

The North Carolina softball team (9-6) took down Bryant (0-4) again in a defensive battle, 2-0, but was unable to avenge its Friday loss to No. 15 Georgia (14-2), falling 8-1 on Saturday.

In the first game against Bryant, hits were few and in between as both teams combined for just five hits.

The lack of opposing offense can be accredited to first-year pitcher Carlie Myrtle, who was dominant on the mound for the Tar Heels. She made quick work of Bryant’s lineup, striking out ten batters through four innings to keep the game scoreless.

UNC finally broke through in the sixth inning when Alex Brown hit a single and Bri Stubbs got walked. Both ended up stealing a base to set up shortstop Sara Jubas with runners in scoring position.

Jubas stepped up to the plate and hit a crucial two-RBI single through the left side of the infield to send Brown and Stubbs home for the 2-0 lead. Myrtle would seal the deal in the top of the seventh forcing three fly outs to give UNC the win.

Against Georgia, the Tar Heels responded to a Bulldog run when Skyler Brooks singled at the top of the second. After working her way around to third base, Brown hit her home by reaching first base on an error.

Unfortunately for North Carolina, Georgia would start piling on the runs, scoring five in the third inning to take a 7-1 lead. UNC was unable to get the bats going after the run, getting just two hits the rest of the game.

The Tar Heels ultimately fell to Georgia 8-1, ending the Georgia Classic at an even 2-2 record and 9-6 on the season.

Against Bryant, Myrtle was fantastic as she struck out 12 batters and allowed just two hits en route to throwing a complete game shutout. Her ability to smoke through Bryant batters with four 1-2-3 innings was pivotal in UNC’s victory.

Jubas was the hero in the win over Bryant with her two-RBI single in the sixth inning as she went 1-3 in the game. She found her base quite frequently on Saturday with another hit against Georgia as well as a walk.

Against Bryant, Jubas’ single to bring two batters home was the lone big offensive play in the game as UNC was unable to get much going before the sixth inning. With Myrtle controlling the game on the mound, all it took was one big hit with runners in scoring position to take home the win.

The game against Georgia was decided in the third inning, as the Bulldogs went on an offensive frenzy with four hits, three of which being doubles or better, that brought in five runs to build a 7-1 lead.

Furthermore, Georgia pitcher Madison Kerpics got Georgia out of a pinch when UNC was on a rally in the second inning with bases loaded. Kerpics would give up only two hits on the game, not allowing North Carolina’s offense to gain any momentum to climb back.

After starting off the season 4-0, UNC has gone just 5-6 since against stiffer competition. The batting has to be a slight concern for the Tar Heels as they averaged less than two runs per game in the Georgia Classic. 

However, the pitching for the most part was superb, holding Bryant to zero runs in two matchups and Georgia to just one run after their third inning outburst.

More importantly, head coach Donna J. Papa saw some huge improvements out of her first-year pitcher. Myrtle gave up seven hits in her previous outing, but bounced back on Saturday for her first collegiate win, a performance worthy enough to be a key contributor in the pitching rotation.

UNC is back in action on Tuesday when they host No. 16 Michigan at Anderson Softball Stadium at 4 p.m.

@jdolgoff3