UNC men's tennis defeats Miami 4-0 on Friday

20220123_Rhyne_MTENvsBucknell-14.jpg
Senior Mac Kiger hits the ball during a match against Bucknell University at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center on Sunday, Jan. 23, 2022. The Heels won 7-0.

On Friday, UNC’s men’s tennis team (8-5) traveled to Coral Gables, Florida to compete against Miami in a huge road trip for the Tar Heels, as they won 4-0.

The two teams were slated for a huge matchup as both squads have solidified themselves as two of the top teams in the ACC as well as the nation. 

In the end, the Tar Heels came out victorious with an overall score of 4-0. UNC topped the Hurricanes in three out of the six singles matches and two of the three doubles matches, while the rest of the matches were deemed unfinished.

North Carolina was ranked 31st in the nation ahead of their match against the 24th-ranked Miami and proved that they are even better than that. 

Everyone played a significant role in the Tar Heels’ win this weekend, including seniors Mac Kiger and Henry Lieberman as well as sophomore Logan Zapp, each of them earning a solid victory in their respective singles matches. All three of the athletes just needed two sets to do so and had control of their matches from start to finish. 

The biggest keys to the Tar Heels’ success this weekend were the performances by senior Mac Kiger in both singles and doubles. Kiger dominated his singles opponent in two straight sets 6-4, 6-1 to help North Carolina seal the win. Additionally, as the No. 8 duo in the nation, Kiger played alongside senior Brian Cernoch, and came up victorious against Miami 6-4. 

Mac Kiger’s play was nothing short of impressive against one of the best teams out there and was integral in the Tar Heels’ win this weekend.

The match was decided early in the Tar Heels’ favor as UNC came out storming to a two match lead in the doubles column, which set them up greatly for their singles play. The matches on courts one and three both concluded in wins from duos Mac Kiger/Brian Cernoch and Benjamin Sigouin/Peter Murphy, respectively. 

The Tar Heels looked nearly flawless in this matchup against Miami in both singles and doubles play. UNC clearly had a great plan and mindset coming into this as they rapidly decided this match by their dominant performances.

This match could prove to be one of the most, if not the most, important matches of the entire season. While the Tar Heels were in a great spot before they faced off against the Hurricanes, this win can certainly give North Carolina the confidence they need for the remainder of the season to beat any competition that is put in front of them. 

Overall, other teams should look at UNC as a force to be reckoned with from here on out after this match.

For their next match, the Tar Heels will travel to Durham and face the Duke Blue Devils on Wednesday. The start time for the match is scheduled for 3 p.m.