No. 15 UNC baseball wins its second game of the series against Pittsburgh, 4-3

D2B61EB1-4D2E-4667-8982-89D05976B6E9.jpeg
Shortstop Danny Serretti (1) catches a groundball in his mitt as infielder Mac Horvath (10) runs towards him during a home baseball game against Pittsburgh. UNC won 4-3 on Saturday, March 12, 2022.

A three-run home run to left centerfield and a walk-off bomb in the bottom of the ninth helped the No. 15 North Carolina baseball team (13-2, 2-0 ACC) battle its way to a Saturday afternoon victory over the Pittsburgh Panthers (8-6, 0-2), winning 4-3 to clinch the series in its ACC opening weekend.

A scoreless three innings came as no surprise, as frigid temperatures and consistent snow flurries in Chapel Hill created the most adverse conditions UNC has faced this season.

The weather, mainly in the form of gusting winds, led to numerous errors by both teams, as each committed three. 

The Panthers plated two runs on a Johnny Castagnozzi error in the fifth inning. The second-baseman from New York called off the right-fielder behind him but dropped the ball, and this mistake let the visitors take a 3-0 lead.

Pitt still left three on base at the end of their fifth inning at bat, leaving the door open for North Carolina to counter. And in the sixth inning, the Tar Heels did just that, courtesy of a three-run homer off the bat of sophomore infielder Mac Horvath. 

The Minnesota native brought sophomore first baseman Hunter Stokely and junior shortstop Danny Serretti home to even the score, but UNC left the inning with senior second baseman Mikey Madej stranded at second after first-year centerfielder Vance Honeycutt struck out swinging.

The seventh inning again saw North Carolina leave runners on base, this time with redshirt-junior outfielder Angel Zarate and Castagnozzi. Zarate extended his hitting streak to 15 games and his on base streak to 38, as he’s been the most consistent bat in the UNC lineup through the first month of the season.

In the eighth, Pitt went three up, three down and the Tar Heels left two on base for the fourth time in five innings. Horvath got stuck in scoring position on third base and redshirt-junior catcher Max Riemer – pinch running for Madej – was stranded at first.

The final frame saw Pitt have its best scoring chance since the fifth inning, as the Panthers got two aboard with just one out after two singles. UNC subbed senior lefty Caden O’Brien in for fellow senior righty Gage Gillian, then graduate righty Shaddon Peavyhouse was called on to finish the inning and did so with a strike out.

North Carolina sealed the deal in the ninth. Sophomore catcher Tomas Frick popped out to center to open the inning, then Castagnozzi battled his way to a full count before ending the game with a bomb to right center.

Castagnozzi, after committing the costly error in the fifth, stepped to the plate with one out in the bottom of the ninth and carried the fence for the third time this season. His homer was the Tar Heels’ third walk-off this season after they also took down East Carolina and Coastal Carolina with ninth-inning heroics.

Horvath’s three-run bomb tied the game and was the first sign of a Tar Heel offense, all the way in the sixth inning.

Sophomore righty Max Carlson struck out five in 3.2 innings of work, and sophomore lefty Shawn Rapp took over from there and earned two Ks himself.

Zarate and Castagnozzi were the only Tar Heels with multiple hits.

This game came down to the very last pitch, and Castagnozzi’s took that ball and put it beyond the wall for the North Carolina win.

Castagnozzi more than rebounded from his critical fifth inning mistake to give UNC the series-clinching win.

Any time North Carolina can open its conference slate with a series win like it did Saturday, the more momentum the team will have as it gets deeper into the season. A walk-off homer only increases that energy.

The Tar Heels host Pitt again tomorrow afternoon at 1 for the series finale.