UNC softball defeats Appalachian State on Wednesday, 8-4

03202022_Lewis_SOFTBALL-6.jpg
Senior pitcher, Hannah George (42) throws a pitch in Anderson Softball Stadium on Mar. 30, 2022. The Tar Heels beat the Appalacian State Mountineers 8-4 on Wednesday evening.

In its sixth Wednesday contest of the season, the UNC softball team (19-14, 4-4) beat the Appalachian State Mountaineers (17-13, 5-4), 8-4.

After two scoreless innings, the Mountaineers homered at the top of the third and fourth to post the first runs of the night. In the next inning, graduate student shortstop Sara Jubas was walked to first and batted in after senior catcher Taylor Greene hit a home run to left field, tying the score. Sophomore outfielder Kiannah Pierce tripled to right field thereafter, and first-year shortstop Alex Brown sent her home to go up 3-2.

In the bottom of the fifth, junior outfielder Bri Stubbs hit a line drive to the shortstop who dropped the ball, which was ruled a single. Stubbs then caught the App State pitcher sleeping and advanced to second. Sophomore second baseman Skyler Brooks reached on an error by the third baseman and Stubbs advanced to third. Next at bat, Jubas singled to the shortstop and sent Stubbs home. Brooks was sent to third by Greene, who flied out to left field, and scored off Pierce’s single down the left field line. 

The Tar Heels continued to improve their 5-2 onslaught in the bottom of the sixth. After loading the bases, Stubbs hit a sac fly to left field, bringing in sophomore outfielder Carsyn Snead. Senior pinch hitter Kiersten Licea singled up the middle to drive in redshirt junior pinch hitter Abby Settlemyer. Following a Jubas double, Licea ran to home plate to notch the score to 8-2.

The Mountaineers attempted to garner a comeback at the top of the seventh, scoring two runs on sophomore pitcher Talia Hannappel. But those weren’t enough to top the Tar Heels, and UNC won with a final score of 8-4.

Senior pitcher Hannah George pitched five innings, allowing two earned runs, three hits and three strikeouts, improving her overall record to 10-2.

Greene had four at-bats, one RBI and hit her fifth home run of the season.

It was clear after the bottom of the sixth that UNC would come out victorious, after shutting out App State for two straight innings after its initial scores. Even though App State tried to gain momentum in the final inning, UNC’s outfield remained strong to close out the game.

This contest improves North Carolina’s record to 19-14 on the season, following a 16-4, five-inning mercy rule game against NC State three days prior. These two wins fire up the team’s mojo going into another conference-series weekend against Clemson.

The Tar Heels host the Clemson Tigers in a three-game weekend series beginning on Friday, April 1 at 6:00 p.m.