UNC rowing competed in UVA Invitational on Saturday, faced against UCF and Tennessee

20220303_Wilder_WRowing-592.jpg
Sophomore Caroline Lammerson rows during a practice on Thursday, March 3, 2022. Photo courtesy of UNC Athletics.

On Saturday, the North Carolina rowing team competed in its first event of 2022 at the UVA Invitational at the Rivanna Reservoir in Earlysville, Virginia. 

In their morning races, the Tar Heels took on UCF, and in the afternoon races faced No. 20 Tennessee. In its races against UCF and Tennessee, UNC finished second in four of the five races, but finished first in the Varsity Four against UCF and first in the Second Varsity Four against Tennessee.  

In their first races of the day, the Tar Heels took on the Knights, competing in the Varsity Eight (finishing with a time of 7:30.3), Second Varsity Eight (8:05.5), Varsity Four (9:05.9), Second Varsity Four (9:25.2) and Third Varsity Eight (9:06.1). UNC finished second in each race, save the Varsity Four, in which it its time of 9:05.9 edged out UCF’s 9:04.9.  

In their afternoon races, the Tar Heels faced the Volunteers, racing in the Third Varsity Eight (9:10.11), the Second Varsity Four (9:35.5), the First Varsity Four (8:55.4), the Second Varsity Eight (7:50.1) and the First Varsity Eight (7:35.3). North Carolina’s time of 9:35.5 in the Second Varsity Four was enough to take first place over Tennessee, but the four other races saw UNC take second. 

The UVA invitational was just the second event the Tar Heels competed in under the guidance of new head coach Erin Neppel, whose arrival was announced last July.

The first took place in the fall, at the Rivanna Romp, where UNC competed in the Varsity 8+ and the Varsity 4+. North Carolina had three boats race in the Varsity 8+, with the fastest boat placing 17th. In the Varsity 4+, four boats raced for the Tar Heels, with the fastest boat taking 16th place. North Carolina only competed in one event in the fall semester in order to use the semester to build as a team and allow team members to adjust to the new coaching staff.  

When do they compete next? 

Next left on the regular-season docket is the Tar Heels’ only dual event of the season on April 2, at Bucknell, where they will face hosts Bucknell, as well as Boston College and George Washington. 

Then, North Carolina will wrap up the regular season on  April 22nd and 23rd with the Lake Wheeler Invite, an event the Tar Heels will co-host with Duke University. North Carolina will then compete in the ACC rowing championships from May 13-14 in Lake Hartwell, South Carolina.