In #TyleeStrong Spring Game, battle for UNC football's starting QB heats up

Spring Football Game

Redshirt first-year quarterback Drake Maye (10) looks for a pass in the spring scrimmage on Saturday, April 9, 2022. The Tar Heels and Carolina tied, 14-14.

As of now, head coach Mack Brown doesn’t know who North Carolina’s starting quarterback will be next season.

And given the fiery competition during Saturday’s #TyleeStrong Spring Game — featuring quarterbacks Drake Maye and Jacolby Criswell — things will probably stay that way for a while.

A 247Sports four-star dual-threat quarterback and the second-best player from Arkansas in his class, the rising sophomore Criswell joined a 2020 Tar Heel team that was already helmed by all-time UNC great Sam Howell. The 232-pounder didn't get much playing time that season, but earned his first collegiate start against Wofford the following season, going 11-19 for 125 yards and a rushing touchdown against the Terriers.

In that same game, then first-year Maye, another four-star prospect who de-committed from Alabama to join the Tar Heels, completed 7-9 passes for 89 yards and his first collegiate touchdown. Maye, the younger brother of UNC basketball legend Luke Maye, later got playing time in North Carolina's loss to South Carolina in the Duke's Mayo Bowl.

Now, with Howell moving on to the pros, the duel to be his successor is taking center stage.

“They’re watching each other very closely,” Brown said. “They understand that they’re in a battle and can’t make many mistakes.”

Maye made his first crucial error on Saturday on an incomplete pass that ended his first drive. When Criswell took the reins, he wasted no time in launching a 40-yard bomb to junior receiver Josh Downs, followed by a 12-yard touchdown to Downs on a play-action drag route.

But the two young quarterbacks were just getting warmed up.

“Anything I do that looks awesome, (Maye’s) going to make sure he does it even awesomer,” Criswell said.

Maye responded almost immediately with a 38-yard touchdown of his own to Downs.

“Whoever’s at quarterback, this offense is going to explode no matter what,” Criswell said.

Whether it was Maye or Criswell making the big throw, Downs was there to execute the play — a trend that will likely persist throughout the season, as Downs is one of the country’s top receivers.

When asked about the differences between the two quarterbacks, Downs commented on their contributions to the team dynamic.

“Drake’s always had that type of swagger in him,” Downs said. “But Jacolby’s definitely stepped up and been a more vocal leader."

Without Howell's veteran experience present in the huddle to guide the offense, Criswell has looked to become a more prominent leader on the team.

“The thing I have to do is just be more of a vocal leader,” Criswell said. “Sam was the alpha dog — he didn’t have to say much. You knew what he was capable of and what he was going to do every weekend.”

Additionally, the quarterbacks’ relentless desire to lead has fueled their persistence through injuries.

According to Criswell, Maye didn’t let a sprained ankle keep him off the practice field. So it’s no surprise that when Criswell tweaked his hamstring 10 days ago, he decided to respond the same way.

Just when Brown thought there was an opportunity for Maye to truly step up, Criswell showed up to practice with his leg taped up, adamant about not taking a day off.

“Every day that I don’t have, that’s a rep I lose,” Criswell said. “Every day with my hamstring being hurt, I’m like, ‘Okay I gotta go out there, I’m competing for a job.’”

Despite the trials pushing them to their physical limits, both players find a sense of unity and joy in the competition. Criswell made it clear that ultimately, he and Maye are on the same team, with one common goal — winning games.

“It’s really fun,” Criswell said. “In meetings, we’re probably in there for about two hours every day. And so we all just laugh and have fun in there.”

Yes, the quarterback room certainly looks different from recent years. Howell, who broke virtually every UNC passing record in his tenure, never had to worry about being replaced. Meanwhile, Maye and Criswell have been vying for the starting role all spring.

And in all likelihood, that competition will continue until the start of next season.

“They’re in a real heated competition,” Brown said. “But they like each other.”

@danielhwei

Daniel Wei

Daniel Wei is a 2023-24 assistant sports editor at The Daily Tar Heel. He has previously served as a senior writer. Daniel is a junior pursuing a double major in business administration and economics.