UNC men’s basketball guard Anthony Harris to enter NCAA transfer portal

20211123_Rhyne_MBBALLvsUNCA-9.jpg
Redshirt sophomore guard Anthony Harris (0) guards a UNC Asheville player at the game on Tuesday, Nov. 23, 2021, at the Dean E. Smith Center. UNC won 72-53.

UNC men’s basketball guard Anthony Harris has entered the NCAA transfer portal, team officials confirmed on Wednesday afternoon.

The redshirt sophomore last played for the Tar Heels on Jan. 8 against Virginia. Harris averaged 2.6 points over 14 games in the 2021-2022 season, logging in just under 12 minutes of playing time per game.

On Jan. 21, the team released a statement announcing his unavailability for the rest of the season.

“Anthony has worked hard to become a valuable contributor to our team,” head coach Hubert Davis said in the press release. “We are disappointed for Anthony and our team, but he will continue to contribute and we know he will work hard so he can play for us again next season.”

Harris still practiced and traveled with the team throughout its deep NCAA Tournament run.

When he did play, Harris came off the bench for sophomore guards RJ Davis and Caleb Love as a stout perimeter defender and solid 3-point shooting from the corners, making three of his five total attempts.

Harris' announced comes after transfer forward Dawson Garcia announced he had entered the portal. Also on Wednesday, junior Armando Bacot announced he would return to North Carolina next season.

Daniel Wei

Daniel Wei is a 2023-24 assistant sports editor at The Daily Tar Heel. He has previously served as a senior writer. Daniel is a junior pursuing a double major in business administration and economics.