Sunday June 26th

UNC men's basketball forward Dawson Garcia to enter NCAA transfer portal

Sophomore forward Dawson Garcia (13) takes a shot at the game against Michigan on Dec. 1 at the Dean E. Smith Center. UNC won 72-51.
Buy Photos Sophomore forward Dawson Garcia (13) takes a shot at the game against Michigan on Dec. 1 at the Dean E. Smith Center. UNC won 72-51.

Just one season after transferring to Chapel Hill from Marquette, UNC men's basketball sophomore forward Dawson Garcia has once again entered the NCAA transfer portal, team officials confirmed on Wednesday.

Garcia hadn't played a game for the Tar Heels since the team's Jan. 22 road loss to Wake Forest. After missing the next six games, the team announced in February that Garcia would miss the remainder of the season due to a series of illnesses within his family.

“Not everyone will understand, but those who know our family are very aware of the circumstances and challenges we are facing,” Garcia said in a statement at the time.

The Prior Lake, Minn. native came to UNC after a standout first-year campaign at Marquette, which also included a 24-point, 11-rebound double-double against North Carolina alongside head coach Roy Williams. At UNC this season, Garcia averaged nine points and 5.5 rebounds per game on 40 percent shooting.

@pjdaman12

The Daily Tar Heel Victory Paper for March 7, 2022