Monday June 27th

UNC men's basketball guard Kerwin Walton to enter NCAA transfer portal

UNC sophomore guard Kerwin Walton (24) looks for an open pass during UNC basketball's home game against Michigan on Wednesday, Dec. 1, 2021. UNC won 72-51.
Buy Photos UNC sophomore guard Kerwin Walton (24) looks for an open pass during UNC basketball's home game against Michigan on Wednesday, Dec. 1, 2021. UNC won 72-51.

On Sunday morning, UNC men’s basketball team officials confirmed that Kerwin Walton will enter the transfer portal.

This past season, the sophomore shooting guard averaged 3.4 points and 1.2 rebounds per game and recorded a season-high 14 points in a win over the College of Charleston back in early November. During his two seasons with the Tar Heels, Walton cemented himself as one of the team’s best marksmen, shooting a blistering 39.9 percent from the three-point line.

After working his way into the starting lineup in his first year with the program, Walton saw less playing time as a sophomore. By this past season's end, he was no longer a part of the regular rotation.

The former 4-star recruit from Hopkins, Minn. was ranked the No. 133 player in the nation and the No. 21 shooting guard according to 247Sports. Along with North Carolina, Minnesota appeared to be one of Walton’s top-choice schools during his recruitment. 

Walton is currently going through the NBA draft process, having entered the draft field on Apr. 27, and plans on using the experience to garner professional feedback. He plans on returning to college for his junior season.

With Walton’s departure, the Tar Heels now have one scholarship left outstanding, and will likely look to fill that void through the transfer portal in the coming weeks. 

@evanr0gers

The Daily Tar Heel Victory Paper for March 7, 2022