Janet Guthmiller named dean of Adams School of Dentistry

adams-school-of-dentistry

UNC's Adams School of Dentistry. Photo courtesy of Chris Pope, the school’s creative media specialist. 

Dr. Janet Guthmiller was named the dean of the UNC Adams School of Dentistry on Wednesday, according to a campus-wide email from the University.

She will replace interim dean Edward Swift, who took over in December 2021 following Dr. Julie Byerley's term as interim dean. Scott De Rossi, who led the school for four years, stepped down in January of 2021.

Guthmiller is currently dean of the College of Dentistry at the University of Nebraska Medical Center, where she has led dental programs across five campuses and served over 300 students. She will start her role on Oct. 15 and will hold the Claude A. Adams Distinguished Professorship.

"Guthmiller is a nationally recognized leader in dental education and an accomplished researcher, author and teacher. She has been the recipient of collegiate, university and national teaching and mentoring awards, including the Faculty Mentor of the Year from the National Student Research Group of the American Association for Dental Research in 2007," the email said. 

From 2007 to 2014, Guthmiller was associate dean of academic affairs and professor of periodontology at UNC, where she oversaw all dental educational programs, faculty development and student admissions.

"As dean of the Adams school, Guthmiller will continue to champion its profound commitment to public service and academic and research excellence," the email read.

@madikirk31