Valerie Howard named dean of UNC School of Nursing, effective Aug. 1

UNC Nursing School Entrance

UNC's School of Nursing, as pictured on Feb. 7, 2021.

Valerie Howard was named the dean of the UNC School of Nursing on Wednesday, according to a campus-wide email from the University. She will begin working in the role on Aug. 1. 

She will replace interim dean Peggy Wilmoth, who took over in January 2022 after Nena Peragallo Montano stepped down after serving in the position since 2017.

Howard previously served as the vice dean for academic affairs and a clinical professor in the School of Nursing at Duke University. 

In these positions, Howard implemented initiatives focused on academic excellence. She adopted new standards for online education, launched a student success center and oversaw many of the programs that serve the school's 1,150 students. 

Additionally, Howard leads the North Carolina Future of Nursing Action Coalition, a volunteer organization that works to improve health equity across North Carolina. She has also served as president of the International Nursing Association of Clinical Simulation and Learning.

Howard founded the Regional Research and Innovation in Simulation Education Center based on her own research. She also helped develop the Elsevier Simulation Learning System, one of the first simulation learning systems of its kind.

The International Nursing Association for Clinical Simulation recognized Howard for her work in simulation with its excellence in research award in 2010, the email said. 

Beginning in 2004, Howard held multiple faculty and administrative positions at Robert Morris University School of Nursing and Health Sciences and served as the dean of the school in 2013.

"Howard’s longstanding commitment to nursing excellence, public service and leadership development are perfectly suited to ensure that the School of Nursing continues to thrive into the future," the email said. 

@emmymrtin

Emmy Martin

Emmy Martin is the 2023-24 editor-in-chief of The Daily Tar Heel. She has previously served as the DTH's city & state editor and summer managing editor. Emmy is a junior pursuing a double major in journalism and media and information science.