Friday May 27th

Tornado watch and severe thunderstorm warning issued for Chapel Hill and Carrboro

Students walk around campus in the rain on Sept. 21, 2021.
Buy Photos Students walk around campus in the rain on Sept. 21, 2021.

There is a tornado watch in Chapel Hill and Carrboro until 10 p.m. on Friday, according to the National Weather Service in Raleigh.

The tornado watch was issued at 2:32 p.m., according to an Alert Carolina notification.

According to the National Weather Service, a tornado watch means that "conditions are favorable for tornadoes and severe thunderstorms, and people in these areas should monitor threatening weather conditions and listen for possible warnings."

If the weather service issues a tornado warning for Chapel Hill and Carrboro, the University will activate the emergency sirens, the Alert Carolina said. A tornado warning is defined by the NWS as "an instance when a tornado has been spotted, or that radar indicates a thunderstorm circulation that can spawn a tornado."

There is also a severe thunderstorm warning until 3:30 p.m., according to the National Weather Service in Raleigh.

This means conditions are favorable for a strong thunderstorm to produce dangerously large hail or high winds, capable of causing significant damage, a separate Alert Carolina notification said.

The severe thunderstorm warning was extended until 4:15 p.m, according to the NWS in Raleigh.

This is a developing story. Check back here for updates.

@madikirk31

The Daily Tar Heel Victory Paper for March 7, 2022