Tuesday October 4th

Carrboro Town Council approves FY23 budget in meeting Tuesday

<p>Carrboro Town Hall is located at 301 West Main St.</p>
Buy Photos DTH file. The Carrboro Town Hall building is pictured in 2017.

The Carrboro Town Council approved its budget for the Fiscal Year 2022-2023, 6-1, in their meeting on Tuesday. The FY23 year begins on July 1, 2022 and ends on June 30, 2023.

The budget totals $27.7 million, with $7.02 million allocated to the "General Government." This includes funds for the mayor, town council, advisory boards and town manager. 

Other notable appropriations for the government include $395,916 for economic development, $217,846 for climate action and $600,129 for housing and community services.

The budget also included funds for public safety, totaling $7.7 million. It appropriated $4.5 million to the Carrboro Police Department and $3.2 million to the Carrboro Fire-Rescue Department.

Additionally, $568,423 will be appropriated for the Affordable Housing Fund, and a tax rate of 1.5 cents on each $100 of taxable property will be dedicated solely to the fund. 

Carrboro Town Council member Danny Nowell said one thing he is excited about in the FY23 budget is the investment it represents in the Town staff. 

"We have a Town staff that is tasked with creating what we believe in this town to be the most progressive community in the South, often from scratch, and they are working overtime to meet our requests," he said.

As part of the budget, all Town permanent full-time and appointed employees will receive a salary increase of $3,000, effective July 2, 2022.

Carrboro Town Council member Sammy Slade was the only member to not vote in favor of the budget, citing the amount of money appropriated for Climate Action in the budget. 

@sarahchxi

The Daily Tar Heel Victory Paper for March 7, 2022