UNC baseball tops Hofstra, 15-4, in its first game of the NCAA Tournament

20220603_connors_baseball-vs-hofstra-ncaa-regional-2.jpg
Sophomore catcher Tomas Frick (52) runs the bases after hitting his second home run of the year in the second inning of UNC's NCAA Regional against Hofstra at Boshamer Stadium on Friday, June 3, 2022.

In its opening game of the NCAA Tournament, the No. 10 North Carolina baseball team (39-19, 15-15 ACC) beat the Hofstra Pride (30-22, 15-9 CAA), 15-4, Friday afternoon at Boshamer Stadium. 

After securing the first two outs of the first frame, North Carolina looked to be in good standing to blank the Pride. However, junior Kevin Bruggeman had other plans as he cracked a solo shot into the left-field netting to get Hofstra on the board in the first inning.

But, the Diamond Heels were quick to respond. In the bottom half of the same inning, sophomore third baseman Mac Horvath lifted a solo home run over a leaping attempt of a Hofstra outfielder to tie the game.

The home run derby was just getting started for the two teams. 

Following another solo homer for Hofstra, sophomore catcher Tomas Frick blasted his second bomb of the season and tied the contest in the second inning, 2-2.

One inning later, Horvath struck again. On the first pitch of his at bat, the sophomore laced a two-run blast to deep left-center field and gave UNC its first lead of the afternoon. 

Yet, North Carolina was just getting started.

In the bottom of the fourth inning, the Diamond Heels looked to strike again with runners on first and third base. Sophomore second baseman Colby Wilkerson’s perfectly placed bunt drove home the fifth run for UNC.

Shortly after, junior shortstop Danny Serretti joined the offensive charge. To lead off the next inning, the second team All-ACC honoree launched North Carolina’s fourth homer of the game, increasing the Diamond Heels’ lead to four.

Then, the flood gates opened.

After the seventh inning stretch, North Carolina’s barrels exploded in a six-hit inning. Highlighted by first-year Vance Honeycutt’s three-run longball, the Diamond Heels blitzed Hofstra for seven runs and opened up a 13-3 lead.

Despite a late run scored by the Pride, UNC’s lead was too much to overcome and North Carolina secured the regional opening win, 15-4.

Horvath’s power was the story of the game in the early innings. Despite playing in his first regional at Boshamer Stadium, nerves appeared to be nonexistent for the third baseman, who went yard in his first two plate appearances — the first Diamond Heel with two homers in a regional game since 2009.

Moreover, Frick had one of his best hitting days of the year. The Greenville, S.C. native sailed just his second home run of the season, while also chipping in a single and a pair of drawn walks.

The Pride struck early with a first-inning homer, and appeared to be lacking no confidence against the top-seeded Tar Heels. As both teams went punch-for-punch in the early innings, it looked as if the first team to lay off its guard would be the one to fall behind.

And come the third inning, it was Hofstra whose pitching and bats would start to slow down. In a three-inning stretch, North Carolina outscored the Colonial Athletic Association champions 4-0, opening up a comfortable lead that’d be held for the remainder of the contest.

With the victory, North Carolina sits just two wins away from a super regional berth, and are slated to play in the night shift on Saturday — awarding more rest to UNC.

Likewise, the Diamond Heels’ bats remain the hottest they’ve been all season, with North Carolina tallying five bombs over the course of the game. Even more impressive, every batter in UNC’s starting lineup notched a hit en route to the blowout win.  

The Diamond Heels continue regional play on Saturday against the winner of Georgia and VCU. First pitch is scheduled for 7 p.m. at Boshamer Stadium. 

@evanr0gers