Tuesday August 16th

A guide to reproductive health resources for the Chapel Hill community

A sign directing community members toward the UNC Campus Health Services building is pictured on Monday, Nov. 29, 2021.
Buy Photos A sign directing community members toward the UNC Campus Health Services building is pictured on Monday, Nov. 29, 2021.

The United States Supreme Court struck down Roe v. Wade on Friday in a 5-4 decision. The landmark case — which had been national precedent for nearly 50 years — established the constitutional right to abortion. 

The ruling will give individual states power to set their own laws on abortion access, and almost half of U.S. states are expected to ban or severely restrict abortion. The decision goes along with the court's decision to uphold a Mississippi abortion ban in the Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization case. 

Abortion is still legal in North Carolina.

Here are some reproductive health resources for UNC students and Chapel Hill community members.

Planned Parenthood South Atlantic

Planned Parenthood provides affordable abortion services, birth control, emergency contraception, sexually transmitted infection care, pregnancy testing and counseling, as well as other sexual and reproductive health services. 

There are nine Planned Parenthood clinics in North Carolina, including one in Chapel Hill. You can visit during walk-in hours, book an in-person or telehealth appointment on its website or call (800) 230-7526.

A Woman’s Choice 

A Woman’s Choice provides confidential abortion care at-home or in-clinic for up to 19.6 weeks. The clinic also provides personal ultrasound appointments, emergency contraception, pregnancy testing, birth control options, STI & HIV testing and other reproductive health services. 

A Woman’s Choice has locations in Raleigh, Greensboro and Charlotte. Call (800) 298-8874.

Carolina Abortion Fund

The Carolina Abortion Fund supports individuals with the financial and logistical aspects of getting an abortion. The fund operates a secure and confidential phone line: (855) 518-4603.

The phone line is only open on Mondays, and the fund will return calls within 48 hours. Callers will need to have a scheduled appointment to receive funding.

The National Network of Abortion Funds can also help individuals find abortion funds in their area. Abortion funds provide funding, travel, lodging and other financial support to individuals who need them.

Abortion Finder

Abortion Finder is a directory that connects people in need of an abortion with over 700 verified health centers across the country. Individuals can search by address to find the pills, services and procedures that are best for them. 

Orange County Health Department 

OCHD provides family planning services at their clinics in Chapel Hill and Hillsborough. Services are confidential and by appointment. The medical clinics provide free pregnancy tests, as well as counseling on birth control methods and STI prevention. Individuals have access to birth control methods or prescriptions, including intrauterine devices (IUDs), Nexaplon and birth control pills.

Gynecology at UNC Campus Health 

The gynecology clinic at UNC Campus Health provides contraception, IUDs and Nexplanon placement and removal, pregnancy testing, counseling and more by appointment. 

Schedule an appointment online or call (919) 966-2281. 

Student Health Action Coalition

SHAC is the nation’s oldest student-run free clinic. The coalition provides free health care and services to uninsured and underinsured community members in Carrboro, Chapel Hill and Durham — including birth control, gynecological care, sexual health counseling and HIV/STI testing. 

The coalition also has interpreting services for Spanish-speaking and Mandarin-speaking patients.

If your organization is providing reproductive care or safe abortion access in the Chapel Hill area, please email managing.editor@dailytarheel.com to have information added to this article.

@alliemkelly

university@dailytarheel.com | city@dailytarheel.com

The Daily Tar Heel Victory Paper for March 7, 2022