Woven Music Society aims to unite community through music

For students looking to diversify their playlists this upcoming year, the Woven Music Society is a new project by a UNC student that tailors community-curated playlists for listeners across different genres of music.

The project was founded by sophomore Spencer Hood in an effort to build a community that brings people together through music. Genres include alternative/indie, hip-hop/rap, country and EDM/house, and a new playlist is made every month. 

“I feel like music is such a universal thing," Hood said. "So many people share the same music and create music, it's such a great way to bring people together."

All of the playlists can be accessed on Spotify through the link found on the Woven Music Society Instagram page.

“We chose Spotify because it's the best free option for a streaming service, so if you don't have an account, you can make one and just like the playlist and it's easy to listen,” Hood said. 

Playlists are updated every day until the end of the month, and listeners are also able to contribute to playlists anonymously through a Google form.

Hood said he eventually wants to expand and partner with local venues around the Chapel Hill-Carrboro area.

“My goal is to create a very inclusive community where people could share their music and artists could share their music to a broader audience,” Hood said. "Just something that could really bring people from all races, religions, sexual orientations and bring everybody together into one big community."

Hood said he was overwhelmed by the student response to the society, and looks forward to coming back to campus and expanding the project with more playlists and artists.

Students that have been involved with the project since its creation last month like that they can get a feel of what other students are currently listening to. 

“It's kind of nice to hear what everyone's listening to and a good way to discover and feel connected,” said sophomore Zoe Wolff.

Wolff said the playlists are a way to give people a voice and express themselves through their favorite songs or genre of music.

“It's all anonymous so everyone can fully be themselves and contribute to the playlist, and then maybe something you thought that you didn't know or you didn't like at first, if it comes on in the mix, it can really show you something new,” Wolff said.

Wolff said the playlists are a great way to explore music, and while listeners are not required to contribute any songs to the playlist, she encouraged them to add at least one or two. 

The project also plans to feature local artists in North Carolina and give them a platform to share their music. Chad Landry is a rapper from Winston-Salem under the name “Trapbo' Chad” on Spotify, and he was the first artist featured on the Woven Music Society's Instagram.

“There's not enough projects like this that kind of highlight people in the community doing dope stuff, because there are a lot of dope people in the community doing dope stuff,” Landry said. 

The society is not exclusive to UNC students, allowing anyone to suggest songs and listen to playlists. Hood says he is excited to see how broad of a community he can reach through his project. 

“Our playlist has been listened to by people in over 10 different countries and four different continents, which I think is really cool,” Hood said.

@collinatadlock