No. 3 UNC women's soccer's Faasse, Hansen and Patterson score in 3-0 win over BC

20220925_Katsanis_wsocc-bc-05.jpg
Senior defender Tori Hansen makes a scoring corner kick at the UNC women’s soccer game against Boston College at Dorrance Field on Sunday, Sept. 25, 2022. UNC won 3-0.

The UNC women’s soccer team (9-2, 2-1 ACC) defeated Boston College (4-4-3, 0-3 ACC) in a 3-0 victory that puts it in good territory for the ACC title. 

The game started off with a bang as UNC forward Ally Sentnor attempted two shots in the first 3 minutes, both of them out on the right side. The Tar Heels’ aggressive streak continued at about minute fourteen as junior forward Avery Patterson attempted a shot. She took it from inside the penalty box with too much power, causing the ball to go above the center of the net. 

Boston College’s first shot came at in the twenty-sixth minute from first-year midfielder Sophia Lowenberg, which was saved in the bottom left by UNC keeper Emmie Allen.

UNC fired back with three more unsuccessful shots as the clock wound down in the first half. The Tar Heels kept possession of the ball for most of the half, but inaccuracies kept them from officially leading for most of the first period.

Everything changed at around minute forty-three when junior Talia Dellaperuta's shot was rebounded by first-year Kate Faasse for the first goal of the game. This was Dellaperuta’s first game of the season, and Faasse’s second goal. Faasse made the goal from the right side of the penalty box diagonally into the bottom left side of the goal. 

Boston College attempted to answer with one last shot a minute before halftime by Lowenberg, which was again saved by Allen for a nail-biting end to the first half. 

The action continued when UNC scored its second goal a minute and a half into the second period on a penalty kick. Senior defender Tori Hansen made the shot, which came by a handball penalty from Boston College. 

Less than two minutes later, UNC scored again. After a few failed shots, Patterson scored from the edge of the goal into the center of the net, assisted by senior forward Isabel Cox. Boston College was unable to respond, taking only two shots in the second half, allowing UNC to obtain the 3-0 victory.

Patterson was the clear standout of the game, attempting four shots and scoring the goal that sealed the UNC win. Playing for a little over half the game, her push to score throughout the first half gave UNC control of the game. While Sentnor did not score, she fell just behind Patterson with three attempted shots. She was especially important at the beginning of the game, where her early aggression set the tone for UNC. 

Though they had the lead into the second half, the Tar Heels had still not clinched the win until three minutes into this period. Hansen’s penalty kick goal put them in a good position, but there was still a chance if the Eagles could keep UNC from scoring further. The third goal by Patterson secured their victory and gave Boston College too wide of a gap to close. 

This game further boosts UNC’s confidence as the Tar Heels continue throughout ACC play. The blowout nature of the game adds to the momentum of the team following their loss to Virginia. The victory also gives the Tar Heels a winning ACC record for the first time in the season. 

UNC will play Virginia Tech in its third ACC conference game in a row. The game begins at 7 p.m. in Blacksburg on Saturday, Oct. 1. 

@hamsinisiva3