UNC women's golf finishes 16th at the Cougar Classic in Charleston

UNC WOMEN'S GOLF

UNC women's golf player Krista Junkkari pictured on the Finley Golf Course on Friday, Oct. 11, 2019.
Photo Courtesy of UNC Athletic Communications. 

The North Carolina women's golf team ended the second and last day of the 18-team Cougar Classic in Charleston, S.C. on Tuesday, finishing in 16th place with a score of 21 over par with a stroke score of 873. 

Round one started out poorly for the Tar Heels as they finished with a score of 290 — which was tied for 13th — but there was promise as two of the Tar Heels finished under par. 

However, round two was the Tar Heels' worst performance of the tournament with a final score of 296 and all of the Tar Heels finished above par. The potential that the Tar Heels had to possibly move up the rankings seemed to diminish as they stood at 16th in the rankings, 33 shots behind first-place Ole Miss. The team did have some potential to move up the rankings, though, as it sat only seven shots behind 13th-placed Kentucky.

The Tar Heels would have their best round of the tournament in the third round, shooting a 287 with a player under par and three others within two shots of par. Unfortunately for the Tar Heels, the teams around them in the rankings improved their game by similar margins and UNC was not able to move further up the rankings, which resulted in the 16th-place finish.

Senior Krista Junkkari was the standout performer of the tournament for the Tar Heels, shooting a two-under par with an overall score of 211. She also finished under par in two of the rounds with a score of 69 in round one and 70 in round three. Adding in her round two score of 72, she finished with a score of 211, tying her for 21st out of 96 competitors. 

First-year Megan Streicher was the other Tar Heel to finish a round under par with a score of 70 in the first round, and she was also one of only five players in the tournament to record an eagle. Streicher would finish nine over par for the third-best score out of all the Tar Heels with 222.

The Tar Heels started out slow in the first round and fell to 13th place and 13 shots behind the leaders, but the position appeared to be salvageable. It was the second round that would drop the Tar Heels in the rankings, a position that they would not recover from in the third round.

Coming off a lackluster season last year, the Tar Heels were looking to emerge in a stronger position and make a statement in their first competition of the season, but were not able to do so. The team will need to make quick improvements if it wants to improve for the rest of the season and start rising to the top of leaderboards.

The Tar Heels will look to bounce back when they play next in the Texas A&M “Mo”morial tournament on Tuesday, Sept. 20 for day one of a two-day tournament.