The Daily Tar Heel

Serving the students and the University community since 1893

Saturday December 3rd

Fire in McIver Residence Hall requires building evacuation

<p>Construction to control flooding outside of McIver Dorm started.</p>
Buy Photos McIver Residence Hall pictured on March 1, 2016.

UNC Police responded to a structure fire at McIver Residence Hall at 11:03 p.m. last night, according to the UNC Crime Log.

All residents were evacuated from the building, as a result of a cooking fire in the kitchen on the third floor. The fire was extinguished by the fire department and was cleared for re-entry by fire department personnel and UNC's Environmental Health and Safety office, according to an email sent from Carolina Housing. 

No injuries were reported, but the third floor kitchen and neighboring hall bathroom will remain closed for repairs.  

McIver Residence Hall is located on Raleigh Street and is one of the four residence halls included within the Kenan Community — made up of Alderman, Kenan, McIver and Spencer Residence Halls. 

@livvreilly 

university@dailytarheel.com 

To get the day's news and headlines in your inbox each morning, sign up for our email newsletters.



Comments

The Daily Tar Heel's 2022 Year in Review

Special Print Edition

Games & Horoscopes

Print Edition Games Archive