A guide to abortion and reproductive health care in North Carolina

Lewis-10102022-ABORTION-33.jpg
DTH Photo Illustration. Emergency contraceptives, birth control, and a pregnancy test are pictured on Oct. 9, 2022. These can be accessed both on and off campus.

On June 24, The United States Supreme Court overturned nearly 50 years of national precedent in eliminating the constitutional right to abortion. 

The ruling to overturn Roe v. Wade gave individual states the power to set their own laws on abortion access, with almost half of U.S. states expected to ban or severely restrict abortion. North Carolina is one of the only Southern states where abortion is still legal — for up to 20 weeks of pregnancy. 

For many, abortion access is an issue that has medical, financial and legal implications. 

Here's a breakdown of abortion and reproductive health care resources in the state: 

Local clinics and resources

Planned Parenthood South Atlantic

Planned Parenthood provides affordable abortion services, birth control, emergency contraception, sexually transmitted infection care, pregnancy testing and counseling, as well as other sexual and reproductive health services. Care is available in person or via telehealth. 

In Chapel Hill, Planned Parenthood has options for in-clinic or medication abortion up to 19.6 weeks.

There are six Planned Parenthood clinics in North Carolina. You can visit during walk-in hours, book an in-person or telehealth appointment on The Planned Parenthood website or call (800) 230-7526.

A Woman’s Choice 

A Woman’s Choice provides confidential abortion care at home or in-clinic for up to 19.6 weeks. The clinic also provides personal ultrasound appointments, emergency contraception, pregnancy testing, birth control options, STI & HIV testing and other reproductive health services. 

A Woman’s Choice has locations in Raleigh, Greensboro, Durham and Charlotte. Call (800) 298-8874.

Orange County Health Department 

OCHD provides family planning services at its clinics in Chapel Hill and Hillsborough. Services are confidential and by appointment. The medical clinics provide free pregnancy tests, as well as counseling on birth control methods and STI prevention. Individuals have access to birth control methods or prescriptions, including intrauterine devices (IUDs), Nexplanon and birth control pills.

Call the Health Department Medical Clinic at (919) 245-2400.

Gynecology at UNC Campus Health 

The gynecology clinic at UNC Campus Health provides contraception, IUDs and Nexplanon placement and removal, pregnancy testing, counseling and more by appointment. 

Schedule an appointment online or call (919) 966-2281. 

Student Health Action Coalition

SHAC is the nation’s oldest student-run free clinic. The coalition helps provide free health care and services to uninsured and underinsured community members in Carrboro, Chapel Hill and Durham. The clinic does not offer free birth control at their clinic, but can help patients in the process of getting birth control free of cost. There are also options for affordable gynecological care, sexual health counseling and HIV/STI testing. 

The coalition has interpreting services for Spanish-speaking and Mandarin-speaking patients. Schedule an appointment at (984) 538-1031. 

Pregnancy centers

Gateway Friend's Care

With locations in Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill, Gateway Friends Care is a pregnancy center that offers pregnancy testing,  ultrasounds, options counseling and STI testing. It is free and confidential. On its website, the organization said it wants pregnant people across the Triangle to "choose life." The organization does not offer abortions or abortion referrals.

Call the Chapel Hill location of Gateway Women's Care at (919) 537-8220 or text (919) 386-9373.

Pregnancy Support Services

Pregnancy Support Services is a Christian non-profit serving people in Durham and Chapel Hill. The organization provides confidential pregnancy testing and limited, first-trimester free ultrasounds, as well as post-abortion care — but PSS does not offer abortions or abortion referrals. PSS can also supply new parents with diapers and wipes, formula and baby clothes. 

Call PSS at (919) 490-0203.

Online and telehealth resources

Abortion Finder

Abortion Finder is a directory that connects people in need of an abortion with over 700 verified health centers across the country. Individuals can search by address to find the pills, services and procedures that are best for them. 

Plan C Pills

Plan C Pills is an online platform that provides accessible information on where to access abortion care in the United States. The website calls for universal access to abortion pills, and aims to destigmatize self-managed or at-home abortions. Individuals can search by state or territory to find aid access, online pharmacies and mail forwarding. 

Hey Jane 

Hey Jane provides fast, safe and affordable abortion pills shipped discreetly to your home. Medical providers are available for consult within 24 hours Monday through Friday. The virtual clinic delivers FDA-approved medication abortion within 1-5 business days. No appointment or in-person visit is necessary and financial assistance is available.

Financial assistance

Carolina Abortion Fund

The Carolina Abortion Fund supports individuals with the financial and logistical aspects of getting an abortion. The fund operates a secure and confidential phone line: (855) 518-4603.

The phone line is only open on Mondays, and the fund will return calls within 48 hours. Callers will need to have a scheduled appointment to receive funding.

The National Network of Abortion Funds can also help individuals find abortion funds in their area. Abortion funds provide funding, travel, lodging and other financial support to individuals who need them.

Legal assistance

Repro Legal Helpline

The helpline is a free legal service that can help people understand their legal rights if they live in a state that has restricted or banned abortion. Repro Legal Helpline can provide information about the law and ordering abortion pills online. The line can be accessed at (844) 868-2812.

Text Abby

Operated through the Carolina Abortion Fund, Text Abby is a free text line that can help pregnant people under 18 access abortion through a judicial waiver. Judicial waivers allow those under 18 to get an abortion in North Carolina without parental involvement. The service is free and confidential. 

Text Abby at (844) 997-2229 or visit their online FAQ page

Counseling and mental health support

For all-options counseling and education about pregnancy and abortion options, individuals can make an in-person or telehealth appointment with Planned Parenthood South Atlantic.

If you or someone you know is experiencing a mental health crisis, call the national helpline at 988. The line is available 24/7 via call or text, and is free and confidential.

UNC students who need assistance may contact Counseling and Psychological Services or Student Wellness. CAPS can be reached 24/7 by phone at (919) 966-3658. University employees can reach out to the Employee Assistance Program. University mental health resources can also be found on the Heels Care Network website.

A list compiled by The Daily Tar Heel’s Editorial Board provides additional information on Chapel Hill and campus mental health resources.

For more on abortion and reproductive care, read our FAQ page

If your organization is providing reproductive care or safe abortion access in the Chapel Hill area, please email managing.editor@dailytarheel.com to have information added to this article.

@alliemkelly

university@dailytarheel.com | city@dailytarheel.com