Wednesday December 7th

Chapel Hill Town Council releases Affordable Housing Annual Report for 2022

Chapel Hill Town Hall stands on Sunday, Aug. 28, 2022. The Town of Chapel Hill announced on Aug.18 that they will be releasing $7.8 million to help fund affordable housing projects.
Buy Photos Chapel Hill Town Hall stands on Sunday, Aug. 28, 2022.

Members of the Affordable Housing and Community Connections department presented the Affordable Housing Annual Report for the 2022 Fiscal Year at the Sept. 28 Chapel Hill Town Council meeting.

Sarah Viñas, Chapel Hill's director of affordable housing and community connections, said the Town allocated $2.5 million to community partners for improved affordable housing projects. 

The Town also provided 492 households with Emergency Housing Assistance: a county-wide program that provides financial assistance for residents in Orange County experiencing a housing crisis.

The Town of Chapel Hill defines housing as affordable if housing costs do not exceed 30 percent of a household’s income. Current prices average $1,776 per month. This leaves 58 percent of renter households cost-burdened.

Triangle MLS, Inc. data found that 87 percent of home sales in the area are unaffordable – more than $220,000 – for households with earnings lower than $75,000, which makes up 80 percent of the area median income. 

@madelynvanmeter

Next up in City & County

Next up in The OC Report

Next up in Chapel Hill

Next up in Chapel Hill Town Council

Next up in Affordable Housing

Next up in Community members attend inaugural Chapel Hill-Carrboro Juneteenth events

The Daily Tar Heel's 2022 Year in Review