Freedom House Recovery Center receives over $1 million to increase services

20220826_connors-dth-file-ncdhhs.jpg

The North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services Dorothea Dix campus, located in Raleigh, is pictured on Aug. 26, 2022.

On Oct. 4, the Freedom House Recovery Center received over $1 million in funding to increase the availability of recovery services for individuals with substance use disorders. 

The North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services provided nearly $4 million in grant funds to eight community-based organizations across the state.

Each organization will use the money to expand both resources and accessibility provided by Certified Peer Support Specialists. 

As a part of the North Carolina Certified Peer Support Specialist Program, peers provide support to individuals on the road to recovery from substance use disorders or mental illness through their own lived experiences. 

“Honestly, we feel very honored,” Joyce Harper, CEO and executive director of Freedom House Recovery Center, said. “The grant will allow us to expand our peer support services so that we could provide services to individuals who are in any various stages of recovery.”

Freedom House is one of the largest behavioral health care centers in the region that focuses on person-centered care for all ages, according to their website. 

Harper said the organization offers resources to individuals who might be forgotten by the world because they have a mental health diagnosis or because they struggle with a substance use problem.

“When you have support and you have someone who has been in your shoes come alongside you, help you, coach you, train you and encourage you, it makes a big difference,” Harper said. “That's what peer support does for individuals in recovery.”

The County Criminal Justice Resource Department works with clients in Orange County with deflection and diversion from detention centers. They also help those who have been incarcerated or are reentering society with substance use disorders.

Caitlin Fenhagen, the Orange County criminal justice resource director, said that, with the grant given to Freedom House, the organization can enhance the services they provide and help stabilize patients' recovery through their partnership with the Lantern Project. 

The Lantern Project works to support people with histories of substance use that have legal trouble by obtaining support for them quickly. This includes providing aid for people who have been or are about to be arrested as well as those who are or were recently incarcerated.

“We'll be able to serve another 150 people per year,” Fenhagen said. “Then also really address some of the underlying issues of stability, like transportation and housing that impact people's ability to follow through with harm reduction education and treatment needs.”

The North Carolina Formerly Incarcerated Transition Program works with local reentry partners like Freedom House and the Lantern Project, according to Dr. Evan Ashkin, the founder of NC FIT. 

He said the grant will provide increased availability of medications to help those with substance use disorders.

“What we're offering through the Lantern Project is evidence-based treatment for opioid use disorder, which is highly effective,” Ashkin said. “We're confident we're gonna show reductions in overdose deaths for people that are enrolled in the program.”

Recipients of the $4 million dollars in funding, including seven other organizations in North Carolina, are expected to expand or enhance the number of locations where certified peer support specialists are available and increase the amount of individuals receiving service. 

Dan Velez, clinical supervisor of UNC Substance Treatment and Recovery, said peer support specialists are the most underutilized yet most valuable resources in all of formal substance recovery or treatment. 

Harper said Freedom House is optimistic to share additional resources after the past years when they struggled during changes of leadership.

She said they want to use their experience to continue to touch people’s lives by branching out more in Chapel Hill and the surrounding communities. 

“As we do this work and as we work to support our community, our community gets better,” Harper said, “and like the rising tide, we all get better together.” 

For more information about the grant visit the NCDHHS website. Additional resources on substance use can be found on the Freedom House website.

@bridget_bendezu