October is brewing: Craftboro Brewing Depot to hold 'Oktoberfestiversary' celebration

20221005_Rhyne_city-oktoberfestiversary-brewing-event-6.jpg
Owner of Craftboro in Carrboro, NC, Jason McCarter, engages with customer Tyler Huntington on Wednesday, Oct. 5. Craftboro is hosting Oktoberfestiversary this Saturday, Oct. 8 to celebrate the brewery's 3rd anniversary.

Craftboro Brewing Depot is hosting an Oktoberfest-themed anniversary party in Carrboro on Oct. 8 from noon to 10 p.m. 

The event — called "Oktoberfestiversary" — will involve raffle drawings, music, dancing and contests.

Jason McCarter, co-owner of Craftboro Brewing Depot, said the brewery's third anniversary happened to be close to Germany’s Oktoberfest celebrations. So, he decided to fuse the two together. 

This year, Oktoberfest took place from Sept. 17 through Oct. 3. The festival, which takes place annually in Munich, Germany, features beer, food and dancing. 

“It's a good time. We thought it was a great idea to just kind of wind it all together, mash it up,” McCarter said.

He said the venue opened five months before the COVID-19 pandemic, so events to mark its first anniversary two years ago were limited. He added that the brewery only hosted a small celebration, with a few special release beers.

McCarter said that the process to prepare began early this year. He hired the Little German Band and Dancers, a group that does perform traditional dances and music from the Bavaria region of Germany, to perform at the event. McCarter said Craftboro Brewing Depot also hired the group for the 2021 Oktoberfestiversary. 

He added that another repeat activity includes the "steinholding" contest, which requires participants to hold out a one-liter beer glass at a 90-degree angle. Whoever can hold the stein up for the longest wins the contest. McCarter said that this year, the winner of the contest will get a free drink per week for the rest of the year.

Caroline Vaverek, a bartender at Craftboro and UNC graduate student, said she’s been working there for about 15 months.

Vaverek said she worked during the Oktoberfestiversary last year, as well.

“I'm sort of expecting it to be a little bit more crowded this year because COVID numbers are down in the community and people are a little bit more comfortable being in crowds, and I'm hoping the weather will be nicer,” she said. “Last year it rained a lot, which was a bummer, but didn't really discourage anyone.”

She said there will be dancing and a lot of joy at the event, and that she was looking forward to seeing the brewing depot's regular customers. 

She added that Craftboro’s regular customers are special to her. She said she likes celebrating with them and that it’s exciting to celebrate being a business that is part of a bigger community.

“I'm hoping next year it's even bigger,” she said. “I kind of hope that we get to a point where we have to have multiple food trucks there.” 

Sarah Carroll, a Craftboro customer, said she goes there frequently, partially because of the running club she’s in. 

“The Carrboro Run Club has been meeting there every Tuesday night and so I go there once a week at least,” she said.

She said she’s gotten to know the Tuesday night staff especially well, but even when she comes at different times she still sees people she knows.

Carroll added that people who are interested in getting involved in the Craftboro community should look for upcoming events and stop by to introduce themselves.

“It's a great place to feel just really comfortable — like a really comfortable neighborhood brewery where everyone's friendly, and the beer is delicious,” Carroll said.