A look at pro-life organizations based in North Carolina and their viewpoints

20221001_connors_city-pregnancy-center-explainer-3.jpg
A bumper sticker on a pro-life supporter's car reads, "Smile, your mommy was prolife" on Saturday, Oct. 1, 2022.

In the first election after the overturning of Roe v. Wade in North Carolina, many pro-life and Christian groups are working to limit or end access to abortion across the state.

North Carolina Right To Life, a nonprofit organization led by Dr. William Pincus, is one of these groups that seeks anti-abortion legislation.

“Right To Life’s two big goals are to elect pro-life officials and to protect the innocent and voiceless because if you think about it, who is the most defenseless thing in the world?" Pincus said. "An unborn baby." 

While NCRTL is not an explicitly religious organization, Pincus said his personal religious identity as a devout Christian inspires him to advocate against abortion.

In order to prepare for the upcoming election season, NCRTL has created a voter guide identifying pro-life candidates for political office in all voting districts in the state. The Political Action Committee associated with NCRTL contributes funds to these endorsed candidates. 

Pincus, said he believes the overturning of Roe is the starting point for building upon anti-abortion legislation in North Carolina. 

“In 1973, you had this judicial overreach, where the Supreme Court wrongfully decided that the right to abortion was included in the Constitution, which it is not there at all,” Pincus said. “The only thing that the overturning of Roe v. Wade did was say, ‘Hey, let’s give it back to the state where it belongs’.”

NCRTL PAC’s political endorsements this election season include Ted Budd for U.S. Senate, and Courtney Geels for U.S. House in District 4.

Numerous other groups join NCRTL in supporting pro-life candidates this election season, such as the North Carolina Values Coalition, NC Family Policy Council, and NC Faith and Freedom Coalition.

The North Carolina Values Coalition is an explicitly Christian, non-partisan organization that advocates for pro-life, pro-family and pro-religious liberty causes, according to their website. 

Their mission statement explains that they believe humans are created in the image of God as either male or female and that life is precious. It says they value life and are committed to protecting it at every stage: the unborn, the orphan and the elderly. 

“The pro-life movement never asks a woman to give up her life,” Laura Macklem, press and political director for N.C. Values Coalition, said. “N.C. Values Coalition believes that in all circumstances possible, the effort should be made to save both the life of the mother and the baby.”

The nonprofit works with organizations such as iVoterGuide and Susan B. Anthony Pro-Life America to rate candidates on their abortion-rights policies and canvass door to door. The N.C. Values Coalition’s main criteria for endorsement of candidates is being pro-life, according to Macklem. 

She said the organization was thrilled with the overturn of Roe v. Wade because it gives state governments the opportunity to analyze public viewpoints and puts the decision back into the hands of elected officials. 

While groups like N.C. Values Coalition and NCRTL are supporting anti-abortion legislation through political advocacy, other groups in North Carolina are advocating against abortion through prayer and vigils. 

The Chapel Hill campaign of 40 Days for Life, an international anti-abortion group, is organizing daily vigils outside Chapel Hill Planned Parenthood. 

“40 Days for Life is there to be a prayerful, peaceful presence,” Chapel Hill campaign leader Kathleen Siemer said. “We’re invoking God’s forgiveness for all the loss of life that has occurred throughout our nation and in our community.” 

Vigils such as these are often seen as antagonistic to people seeking care at reproductive health centers, Siemer said. However, she said she believes the prayers offered by 40 Days for Life are necessary for the wellbeing of mothers and children.

“Our politics are with the Lord," Siemer said. "Our organization is not political. We don’t talk about politics because [abortion] is a spiritual war."

Although 40 Days for Life is an apolitical group, Siemer said she thinks the overturning of Roe v. Wade was a blessing and an answer to the prayers of pro-life Christians. She said the court decision moves the legality of abortion to the state and people now have the ability to vote on the issue. 

Siemer added that It doesn’t change 40 Days for Life’s work or philosophy, and they still plan to continue praying for women and children in their community. 

Walker Livingston

Walker Livingston is the 2024 enterprise managing editor at The Daily Tar Heel. She has previously served as summer city & state editor and assistant city & state editor. Walker is a sophomore pursuing a double major in journalism and media and American studies, with a minor in data science.