Krista Junkkari, rest of UNC women's golf team shines at Ivy Intercollegiate

UNC WOMEN'S GOLF

Krista Junkkari prepares to put during the Ruth's Chris Tar Heel Invitational at Finley Golf Course on Friday, Oct. 11, 2019. Photo Courtesy of UNC Athletic Communications

The North Carolina women's golf team dominated at the Ivy Intercollegiate last week, as the Tar Heels led the pack and several golfers took individual honors at the outing in Springfield, N.J.

The UNC women’s golf team finished first at the Ivy Intercollegiate on Monday afternoon with senior Krista Junkkari taking the individual title. This is the first title under second-year head coach Aimee Neff and the first since the 2017-2018 season.

The Tar Heels took the title by five strokes with a total score of 13-over after the two-round event. Junkkari finished at three under par with a even par 72 in round one and a 69 in round two. 

However, North Carolina’s successes did not come without mental toughness and grit through the 36-hole stretch. After just 10 holes on Monday, Junkkari sat at four-over par. But with four birdies in the next four holes she was able to quickly turn it around. She then parred the last four holes to finish with an even par 72 despite that difficult four-hole stretch early on. 

Senior Kayla Smith also played a key part in the victory by showing mental strength with her six birdies to neutralize six bogies in round one to card an even par 72. 

After round one, the Tar Heels led by eight strokes. This margin was not big enough to make them feel comfortable going into the second round, given the unpredictable nature of the game of golf. Nonetheless, the team continued to demonstrate its resilience. 

Though Junkkari began her second round with a bogey on the par four fifth hole, she made a birdie on the next hole and an eagle on the following. She remained steady the rest of the round, recording just one bogey. It wasn’t until the final stretch where she made two birdies in the last three holes to help North Carolina secure the victory. 

Junkkari and Smith— two of just three seniors on the roster — have emerged as key players this season. They have both recorded individual victories at two of the three events played. Between the two, the combined to card 15 birdies and one eagle over the 36 holes on Monday.

Though the Tar Heels did not have much room for error going into the second round, their consistent play ultimately decided the victory. 

After the front nine in the second round, Smith and Junkkari appeared to be calm and collected. They both were right around even for the day and shook off mistakes with bounce-back birdies. It was ultimately the strong start to the second round and steady play in the back-nine that led to the win. 

After shooting a 307 in the first round, Florida State recorded the low round of the tournament in the second round on Monday with a score of 287. However, it was not enough to stop the Tar Heels, who remained steady over the course of both rounds by shooting scores of 294-295 to take the title by five strokes. 

This is North Carolina’s first victory under head coach Aimee Neff, who took over following the retirement of longtime head coach Jan Mann in the summer of 2021. Additionally, the victory is UNC’s first since the 2017-2018 season. 

Junkkari also picked up her first collegiate victory. This is UNC’s second consecutive individual title after Smith won the "Mo"Morial at Texas A&M a few weeks earlier. 

Additionally, this is strong showing against a field with key conference opponents. UNC beat Florida State, Clemson, Miami and N.C. State to secure the victory. This momentum and high level of competition will help the Tar Heels as they move onto their last two tournaments of the season. 

Next Monday and Tuesday, the Tar Heels will host the annual Ruth’s Chris Fall Invitational at Governor’s Club in Chapel Hill.