Word on the Street: What are students prioritizing this election cycle?

20221027_Le_university-campus-voting-wots

UNC first-year Lauren Rhodes interviews Daniel Goldstein, a junior exercise science major, in the Pit about what he is prioritizing this election cycle on Oct. 26, 2022.

Voting has begun, and UNC students are hitting the polls. 

With many important issues on the docket, students have a lot to consider when casting their ballot.

Staff writer Lauren Rhodes asked students: “What are you prioritizing this election cycle?”

Mary Salyards, first-year sociology major

“Voting is super, super important right now, especially with the political climate. I feel like a lot of people's rights are on the line. And it's really important that people do their research and vote for who they believe in.”

Daniel Goldstein, junior exercise science major

“For me, for voting, I'm prioritizing common-sense democracy, and I think just general civility that I'd like to receive.”

Rotimi Kukoyi, first-year health policy major

“Some issues that I'm specifically prioritizing with my votes in the upcoming midterm elections are I'm looking for candidates that are willing to accurately and boldly represent their constituents in terms of promoting voting equity, looking at racial equity within the nation, continuing our country's responses to pressing health pandemics, epidemics and looking at how we can promote welfare for the most vulnerable populations and our communities.”

Rachel Covington, sophomore biology and medical anthropology major

“This election cycle — I really am prioritizing anybody except for Ted Budd.”

Sara Schaecher, junior neuroscience major

“I mean, there's the whole abortion debate happening right now. I think health care as a wider thing because I have a lot of health issues that are rare enough to not super be covered and that's caused a lot of problems. So definitely health care stuff. And also, I grew up in the school system and my siblings are still in it. So, a lot of emphasis on public school systems here, too, just for me and all my younger siblings and all the kids who live in my neighborhood who still go to those schools and come back from days like, 'Oh, the water was out at our school today, so we all had to leave early.'”

Payton Salmonson, first-year music major

“I'm kind of an issue voter, the biggest ideas for me in this election cycle (include) abortion, it’s the biggest one for me this year. So that's what's motivating my vote.”

Mary Mckenzie, sophomore chemistry major

“This election, I’m prioritizing reproductive rights.”

Sage Clausen, first-year political science and history major

“I'm definitely prioritizing reproductive rights, obviously. But, also just upholding voting rights. I would like there to be enough people in Congress to make some change about just protecting our democracy in general. But, also just on the state level with the North Carolina General Assembly, the threat of an abortion ban in North Carolina is really critical.”

Elijah Danley, first-year biomedical engineering major

“I think honestly for me I have been really busy just with college and this is the first election I will be able to vote, and so I think my biggest priority is just voting.”

@dailytarheel

Lauren Rhodes

Lauren Rhodes is the 2024 university editor at The Daily Tar Heel. She has previously served as an assistant editor and senior writer for the university desk. Lauren is a sophomore pursuing a double major in media and journalism and political science with a minor in politics, philosophy and economics.