Campus organizations will host multiple Halloween events

Lewis-10172022-31.jpg
Students walk in the Pit on Oct. 13, 2022.

As Halloween quickly approaches, several student organizations are getting into the spooky spirit by hosting events on campus in the days leading up to the haunted holiday. 

Campus Y Haunted Prom

The Campus Y will transform into an eerie dance hall to host its first ever “Haunted Prom” on Thursday at 7 p.m. 

Megan Murphy, co-president of the Campus Y, said she has heard a lot of excitement about the dance.

In addition to a DJ and a dance floor decorated with festive Halloween decorations, the first floor will hold Halloween-themed snacks, ‘mocktails’, and pizza — including vegetarian and gluten-free options — Murphy said.

The second floor of the venue will host lower-stimulation arts and crafts, including face-painting, cookie decorating and a tarot reading room. 

“Parties can be overstimulating for anybody,” Murphy said. “We just want it to be an accessible experience.”

Costumes are encouraged, and a costume contest will also be held at the Haunted Prom. The categories are best, funniest, scariest and most original costume.  

The Haunted Prom is also a fundraiser for the Campus Y. The organization will be accepting suggested donations between $6 and $12, however donations are not mandatory to attend.

These donations help the Campus Y to support mutual aid efforts, direct action and other community programming. 

An RSVP form is available and recommended for those planning to attend, and it includes a place to indicate any dietary restrictions so they can be accommodated. 

CUAB Events

The Carolina Union Activities Board will be hosting a number of events throughout the week in preparation for Halloween. 

CUAB will hold a Ceramic Skull Painting on Thursday at 3:30 p.m. in the Carolina Union Plaza AB. Individuals are welcome to stay and paint a skull with CUAB members and others, or take a skull to paint at a later time. 

Vivian Bunker, the special events chair at CUAB, said a “Tar Heel Terror” Halloween Festival will be held on Sunday at 2 p.m. in The Pit and the Gift Plaza of the Carolina Union. 

Bunker said the carnival will include free food, games and giveaways provided by CUAB. 

Part of the festival, CUAB will host the Tar Heel Terror Scavenger Hunt in Dey Hall from 2 p.m. until 6 p.m. 

Bunker said the scavenger hunt will be conducted in pairs. Participants will enter two dark rooms and find five “spooky” items. The winners will receive a small prize, but everyone who participates will be entered into a raffle for the chance to win a UNC merchandise bag or a pair of AirPods.

“We’d love people to dress up, but (costumes are) not mandatory,” Bunker said. 

CUAB will also be hosting a pumpkin painting at Baity Hill on Friday at 6 p.m. specifically for graduate students. 

Daorsa Kastrati, a sophomore at UNC, is one of many students excited about the events being held on campus, specifically because most of them are open to the general public and not just to students. 

“I feel that this is a really great opportunity for organizations on campus to hold these kind of festive events that are open to the Chapel Hill community,” Kastrati said. “It allows us to connect with our peers but also connect with other locals, so I’m really looking forward to that”.

Those interested in learning more about other Halloween events on campus should visit HeelLife’s events page

@dailytarheel | university@dailytarheel.com