Word on the Street: Halloween on Franklin Street returns in limited capacity

20221031_cox_city-halloween-wots
Two clowns smile for the camera during Halloween on Franklin Street on Monday, Oct. 31, 2022.

Although Franklin Street did not fully close this year due to lightning and rain, hundreds of people celebrated Halloween on the sidewalks of downtown Chapel Hill.

It was supposed to be the first year the street was fully closed after the event was canceled for the last two years because of COVID-19.

Staff writer Bridget Bendezu asked people about their rainy Halloween experiences on Franklin Street.

Alexa Alhadeff, UNC first-year human development and family science and psychology major

“I heard about how they closed off the street and it was a huge block party. It’s been pretty good because the rain let up. It’s exciting, I was not expecting it to be this busy.”

Dave "Hedgehog Dave" Leeds, owner of Dave’s Domestic Hedgehogs

“I'm feeling great. We were here last year and I had a son go to school here. We’ve had a great time, we love Chapel Hill. Come see me about a hedgehog. I brought him (Adam the hedgehog) here to introduce him to people because people don’t really understand hedgehogs.”

Chris and Joy Phillips from Calabash, North Carolina

“It’s an awesome night to be hanging out in Chapel Hill. We were just passing through, going to a hockey game, and decided to stay and see what Tar Heel life is like. What’s that they say? It’s a great day to be a Tar Heel. This was a happy accident that we ended up being here. Some of the best things in life happen organically.”

Autumn Elkins, UNC junior medical anthropology and political science major

“I went last year but I don’t think I went for when they closed it off. It might have been after. This is incredible, some of these people have really creative outfits and I’m kind of jealous. I wish they would have closed off the streets because it’s not safe, but that’s OK.”

Caroline Kujawa, UNC senior exercise and sport science major

“This is my first time on Franklin Street because of COVID-19 and it was raining my freshman year. When we were walking earlier, I thought it was going to be empty but it’s not so that’s fun. The guys in the masks scare us.”

Grace Keel, UNC senior psychology and human and organizational leadership development major

“I went freshman year but it wasn’t shut down either. It’s been fun, but I’m sad that’s not shut down. It’s been fun to see everyone's costumes.”

Víctor and Irina Malov, Chapel Hill residents

“It’s an amazing year really. It’s our second Halloween in the United States. Work brought us here.”

Katie Whisnant, UNC first-year English major

“I enjoy seeing everyone in their costumes. There was a dude in stilts and he had a red mask on. I’m not sure what he was but that’s really cool. I think it was kind of upsetting because I was expecting to go on the streets, but it was fun.”

Kiki Taylor, nail technician and business owner 

“It’s definitely a little tradition to swing by here when we can. We wanted the streets to be closed off so that’s the only downside. I’m glad to be out. We don’t go out that often but Halloween is one of our favorite holidays so we go all out, full commitment as you can see. 

Share Elliott, Taylor's assistant 

“It’s the people that make the event, so even with the cars and everything it’s still good.”