Office DJ: Songs to play to the polls

Lewis_08132022_Headshots-31.jpg

Emmy Martin, 

City and State Desk Editor

Sometimes, voting can take a long time. 

There might be lines on Election Day or you might need a hot girl walk to get to the closest polling location. 

While fulfilling your civic duty, why not listen to some music? Pump yourself up before heading to the polls, celebrate casting your ballot or get all excited wait in line. 

"Why vote?" you say. 

Well, I'm glad you asked. 

Over 25,000 people have voted early in Orange County as of Oct. 31. While that’s a lot of people, there were over 110,000 registered voters in the county as of Oct. 29. 

That means that a little less than 23 percent of registered voters have cast a ballot so far. 

To be fair, there are still three more days left to vote early – plus Election Day on Nov. 8.

Midterm elections historically have lower turnouts than presidential elections. But, this year, there is more at stake. 

Voters will decide who gains control of the General Assembly, they will elect their U.S. House representatives, they will select new members to the N.C. Supreme Court and they will choose a new U.S. Senator. 

North Carolina is a purple state, meaning the election will be a close one this year — in almost every race. 

The U.S. Senate race between U.S. Rep. Ted Budd (R-N.C. 13th) and Democrat Cheri Beasley is attracting national attention. 

Budd and Beasley are virtually tied in the polls. Whoever is chosen as the next senator from North Carolina could play an important role in deciding the balance of power in Washington D.C.

Because the Democrats currently hold power, most expect Republicans to do well in the midterms. However, the Dobbs decision that overturned Roe v. Wade, debates of lead Republicans' roles in the Jan. 6 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol and other contentious issues have made this year less predictable.

You have the power to decide who will shape the future of the state. 

The Daily Tar Heel's City & State Desk has been focusing on elections for the past few months because we want you to feel confident about who you are voting for and how you will vote for them.

We have talked to candidates down the ballot to learn their stances on issues important to students and Orange County community members.

We also have a podcast called Before You Vote, where we discuss important topics related to the midterm elections. So far we have discussed how to vote, the impacts of overturning Roe v. Wade, candidates on the ballot and early voting. 

It comes out every week on Apple Music and Spotify until the election, so keep a lookout for it. 

This is me asking you to vote. 

To help convince you, I’ve compiled a playlist of the songs to listen to as you wait in line or cast your ballot this Election Day. 

@emmymrtin

opinion@dailytarheel.com

Emmy Martin

Emmy Martin is the 2023-24 editor-in-chief of The Daily Tar Heel. She has previously served as the DTH's city & state editor and summer managing editor. Emmy is a junior pursuing a double major in journalism and media and information science.