Column: How we made our midterm endorsements

20220112__Wilder_Caitlyn-57.jpg

Opinion Editor: Caitlyn Yaede

This year’s midterm elections are perhaps the most crucial that we, as young people, have ever faced. Reproductive freedoms are on the line following the Supreme Court’s decision on Dobbs v. Jackson, as are pathways to securing social, economic and criminal justice reforms. The Editorial Board knows that the stakes are high.

The endorsement process began by compiling a list of policy issues that were of increased importance to us, and included:

• Cost of living
  • Affordable housing
  • Abortion
  • Right to Work & labor unions
  • Marijuana decriminalization
  • Mass incarceration
  • Gun violence
  • Climate change
  • Immigration
  • Police reform

When considering which candidates to endorse for a particular race — especially given the demonstrated importance and power of the judiciary in the wake of Roe v. Wade’s reversal — it was crucial that we took the two judicial seats up for grabs in this election into consideration. Because of this, we have decided to include endorsements for N.C. Supreme Court seats three and five.

We conducted interviews with candidates who were able to speak with us and researched the platforms of those that were not willing or able to be interviewed. Whether or not a candidate made themselves available for an interview had no influence on our final decision.

We used the information gained from interviews and research and met as a board to come to a consensus. While we are confident in the candidates we have chosen, we know the optics of endorsing a completely blue ballot. It’s not an act of blind Democratic Party allegiance, but an effort to reduce the harm that the Republican Party has brought upon citizens across the board.

The Editorial Board is conscious of the role it plays in sharing and representing the opinions of a diverse student population and local community, and chose candidates that we think would, at the very least, protect the rights and statuses of those who have become targets of oppressive legislation in recent years.

If you’re unsure how to vote, check out the Editorial Board’s voter guide. We urge everyone who is able to vote to do so as soon as possible – there’s too much at stake to sit this one out.

@caitlyn_yaede

opinion@dailytarheel.com

Caitlyn Yaede

Caitlyn Yaede is the 2023-24 print managing editor of The Daily Tar Heel and oversees weekly print production. She previously served as the DTH's opinion editor and summer editor. Caitlyn is a public policy master's student at UNC.