Saturday February 4th

Retiring Chapel Hill Police Chief Chris Blue appointed interim town manager

Chapel Hill Police Chief Chris Blue poses for a portrait in his office on Thursday, June 9, 2022. Blue announced this week he will retire at the end of the year.
Buy Photos Chapel Hill Police Chief Chris Blue poses for a portrait in his office on Thursday, June 9, 2022. Blue announced this week he will retire at the end of the year.

Chris Blue, Chapel Hill’s outgoing police chief, was unanimously appointed by the Chapel Hill Town Council as the interim town manager at a special meeting Wednesday.

Blue is still set to retire officially as police chief on Dec. 31, and will begin his new position on Jan. 1, 2023.

“It has been an honor to serve the community in which I grew up, received my education, and have spent my entire professional career,” Blue said in a press release. “I am humbled to be asked to step into this critical role and I look forward to supporting the remarkable work of our Town of Chapel Hill staff.”

In addition to serving as police chief, Blue has also overseen the Town's Parking Services, Building and Development Services and Town Inspections.

The appointment comes just one day after Chapel Hill Town Manager Maurice Jones announced he would be stepping down at the end of the year.

Blue will serve as the town manager until a permanent appointee is identified, a process which could take up to eight months.

"We are fortunate to have the unique opportunity to select someone who has many years of experience with our organization and who has demonstrated his deep belief in our Town values," Mayor Pam Hemminger said in a press release. "Having Chris Blue in this important role will provide additional support and stability necessary so that we can continue the work of the Town as we search for our next town manager." 

@ethanehorton1

Next up in Chapel Hill

Next up in Chapel Hill Town Council

Next up in Chapel Hill Police

Next up in Public Safety

Next up in City & County

Next up in The OC Report

Next up in Community members attend inaugural Chapel Hill-Carrboro Juneteenth events

The Daily Tar Heel's 2023 Rivalry Edition