CHPD charge suspect in murder at 600 block of North Heritage Circle

20221007_Peoples_city_assistant_chief_retires-8.jpg
The Chapel Hill Police Department entrance sign is pictured on Oct. 7, 2022.

Content warning: This article contains mention of gun violence.

*

*

*

Update Feb. 9, 1:36 p.m.: 

On Thursday, the Chapel Hill Police Department charged the suspect of the homicide that occurred on the 600 block of North Heritage Circle last month.

Chapel Hill resident Asim Salah McKenzie, 23, was charged with second-degree murder.

McKenzie is being held at Orange County Jail without bond. The investigation is ongoing, according to police.

Update Jan. 13, 2:43 p.m.: 

The CHPD has identified the victim of the homicide as 24-year-old Marcus Anthony Smith of Durham.

Update Jan. 12, 7:16 p.m.: 

The victim of the Thursday shooting at the 600 block of North Heritage Circle was not a resident of the Chapel Ridge apartment complex, according to an email sent to residents of the apartment community from its management at 7:00 p.m.

“The ownership and management of Chapel Ridge are deeply saddened to confirm one fatality from a shooting incident reported in the parking lot of our community on the afternoon of January (12), 2023,” the email read.

The CHPD is investigating a report of a shooting on the 600 block of North Heritage Circle. Officers responded at 2:30 p.m. on Thursday and found a body at the scene.

According to the CHPD, "investigators have no reason to believe that there is an immediate threat in the area."

Chapel Hill Ridge apartment complex, which is home to some UNC students living off campus, is located near the scene of the incident. 

No further information is available at this time. CHPD said information that leads to an arrest could be eligible for a reward of up to $2,000.

Anyone with information should call 911 or contact CHPD at 919-968-2760. Callers who wish to remain anonymous can call Chapel Hill-Carrboro-UNC Crimestoppers at 919-942-7515. 

@emmymrtin

CORRECTION: A previous version of this article incorrectly stated the date of the incident. The Daily Tar Heel apologizes for this error.

Emmy Martin

Emmy Martin is the 2023-24 editor-in-chief of The Daily Tar Heel. She has previously served as the DTH's city & state editor and summer managing editor. Emmy is a junior pursuing a double major in journalism and media and information science.