Gourmet cookie franchise Crumbl Cookies to hold grand opening on Feb. 3

Lewis-2023-Crumbl-2.jpg
Crumbl Cookies is pictured on Franklin Street on Monday, January 9, 2023.

It’s time to grab your milk and get ready for some cookies! Crumbl Cookies will hold a grand opening of its Franklin Street location on Feb. 3.

Founded in 2017 by Jason McGowan and Sawyer Hemsley, Crumbl Cookies is a gourmet cookie franchise with over 370 locations across more than 40 states.

Craig Church, one of the franchise owners for the Chapel Hill Crumbl Cookies location, said they were originally approved for the space about a year ago and received official approval from Crumbl Corporate in late 2021.

He said a lot of factors have gone into opening the location, including finding a space and creating a plan for the architecture. He also said the Town must sign off on numerous aspects of this process, contributing to the delay.

“That's really the reason why it's taken so long,” Church said. “It's just all of those factors and then you get the (Town) to come in and sign off on all the different parts of the process.”

He said the location's final inspections for permits took longer than expected, but they are "locked in on the 3rd" as the grand opening date. 

Church said the event will include a ribbon cutting with Rameses and Wool E. Bull in attendance. 

Although Crumbl will be opening its doors in the near future, students such as senior Gabriela Duncan expected the location to be open by now.

Duncan said she has never been to Crumbl Cookies and has been excited to try all the extravagant flavors she sees online. 

Crumbl Cookies is known largely for its four-flavor weekly rotating menu, officially established in December of 2018. The brand wishes to develop unique and delicious cookies inspired by popular flavors, foods and desserts, according to a press release.

Duncan said while she is looking forward to the opening, she is uncertain of how popular the location will be with students.

“I think because Insomnia Cookies is already on Franklin Street and kind of a staple for a lot of Chapel Hill students, I don't know if there's necessarily room for another place,” Duncan said.

Sophomore James Rolf Blizzard said that while Crumbl Cookies may struggle a bit with its high prices, he believes that the store will be popular with community members. 

"I know that Insomnia is pretty popular, so I guess it's good that we're getting another cookie place,” Blizzard said.

Church said what makes Crumbl different from other cookie places is their open concept kitchen. The fun of entering the store to see cookies being made is what makes the location unique. 

Church also said he feels like Crumbl Cookies gourmet cookies will fit in well in the Chapel Hill community.

“We love the people in Chapel Hill,” Church said. “I think, first and foremost, the residents here are great. I think they’re used to great food options. They have high expectations when it comes to the food that they choose to eat, the places that they choose to go.”

He said Crumbl has already begun to partner with community members such as the Chamber For a Greater Chapel Hill-Carrboro and a number of local businesses. Church said they also have a partnership with the UNC athletics department and will sponsor a variety of athletic events throughout the year.

Church said the goal of Crumbl Cookies is to bring people together over their cookies and he is excited to do that in Chapel Hill.

“We're excited to do that with the residents, but then having this school so close by and being able to just partner with different clubs and groups at the school and be able to have the students here right in our neighborhood,” Church said. “We're really excited to do that and have just be able to provide the fun.”

@mkpolicastro

More in Business

More in Food Issue

More in Food & Drink