Josh Stein, NC's attorney general, announces his bid for governor

josh stein file

North Carolina Attorney General Josh Stein delivers a talk at UNC on January 24, 2018.

On Wednesday, Attorney General Josh Stein announced he is running for North Carolina governor in 2024.

“I’m running for governor to fight for our future,” Stein said in a tweet. “As your (attorney general), I have taken on big fights for you and won, time after time. That’s what I’ll do as your next governor. Together, we can build a better and brighter North Carolina.”

Stein, a Democrat who has served as attorney general since 2017 and was re-elected to the office in 2020. Current Gov. Roy Cooper, also a Democrat, served as attorney general before running for governor.   

Stein has already been endorsed by more than 150 people, including former Gov. Jim Hunt, N.C. House minority leader Rep. Robert Reives (D-Chatham, Randolph) and U.S. Rep. Valerie Foushee (D-N.C. 4th).

During the past year, Stein has been in a legal fight against his 2020 opponent, Jim O'Neill, over an advertisement Stein's campaign ran during the election cycle. 

In his announcement video and first ad of this campaign released this morning, Stein attacked Republican Lt. Gov. Mark Robinson, who will likely run for governor against Stein.

He said “some politicians spark division, ignite hate and fan the flames of bigotry” in the ad as clips of Robinson played.

"I’m running for governor because I believe in a governor different North Carolina, one rooted in our shared values of freedom, justice and opportunity for everyone. And I believe the fights we choose show who we are and determine what kind of state we will become,” Stein said in the video.

@emmymrtin @ethanehorton1

Emmy Martin

Emmy Martin is the 2023-24 editor-in-chief of The Daily Tar Heel. She has previously served as the DTH's city & state editor and summer managing editor. Emmy is a junior pursuing a double major in journalism and media and information science. 

Ethan E. Horton

Ethan E. Horton is the 2023-24 city & state editor at The Daily Tar Heel. He has previously served as a city & state assistant editor and as the 2023 summer managing editor. Ethan is a senior pursuing a double major in journalism and media and political science, with a minor in history.