Editorial: Graduates should know about dignity of labor

1128_Paul_opinion-work-fall-grads-income-4.JPG
DTH Photo Illustration. Winter graduates entering the job market are seeking valuable positions.

All jobs help to construct the future of humanity.

Every job pushes the world forward, whether it be direct or indirect. From the waiter who tames your hunger to the doctor who cares for your loved ones, our daily interactions with people of varying professions have a profound, albeit often ignored, impact on our lives.

While each of these professions positively impacts us, society tends to value “big jobs” over others. People tend to overlook other careers that directly affect their lives as well.

The reason? Money.

To many, the dollar amount attached to a profession dictates the value of a job. While income is a necessity, this system is inherently wrong as it overlooks the impact that jobs have and forgoes the idea that all jobs build humanity.

UNC’s 2023 winter commencement was on Dec. 11, and spring commencement is scheduled for May. Many UNC students will soon be entering the job market to occupy a multitude of professions. 

This mass influx of students into the economy warrants a discussion of what makes a job valuable through the philosophy of dignity of labor.

Dignity of labor is the idea that every profession is important and impactful. The philosophy calls for every person to respect their own and others’ professions because they contribute to improving society.

While it may be generally effortless to attribute this philosophy to so-called big jobs, due to the dollar value attached to them, it is equally important to apply it to all other jobs.

This philosophy has been popular for centuries, permeating religious and social reform. One of the most popular promotions of it was done by Dr.Martin Luther King Jr.

In March 1968, King spoke to Memphis sanitation workers who were on strike in Tennessee. He supported the workers, extensively informing them that all jobs that work towards the betterment of humanity deserve dignity: “But let me say to you tonight, that whenever you are engaged in work that serves humanity and is for the building of humanity, it has dignity and it has worth.”

Interestingly, King raised the important point that with the recognition of dignity, people have the opportunity to fight for themselves. In his speech, he urges society to recognize the dignity in all work and for the sanitation workers on strike to continue their fight in gaining that recognition so it can translate to better working conditions and fair compensation.

So, dignity of labor does not go to say that money is not important. Money is, unarguably, a necessity, but the application of dignity of labor can help workers better advocate for their jobs because they see, and show others, the value in them.

So, both the internal and external applications of the dignity of labor are important. People must value other professions, just as they must value their own professions.

Recently on campus, UNC housekeepers garnered student support in their efforts to receive higher pay.

The housekeepers fulfill a noble purpose, helping students and faculty on campus daily. Housekeepers are now advocating for higher pay and better working conditions, including a pay raise to $20 an hour and access to free parking.

As the housekeepers advocate for themselves, they employ dignity of labor as they fight for better, fair compensation. Similarly, students, faculty and staff should apply the philosophy by recognizing the impact housekeepers make and supporting their efforts.

If dignity of labor can effectively be attributed to all jobs, it can raise the importance of these professions in social life, encouraging people to find their passions and for different sectors to be heard. Dignity of labor is a two-way street. Applying it should be a requirement and its effects can allow a multitude of working professionals to advocate for themselves.

All workers impact the world. An artist provides fresh interpretation, a doctor provides care, a waiter fulfills our hunger and an engineer creates tools for daily use. Whether that impact is in a microcosm — such as providing for a family — or large scale, the impact is impact.

As UNC graduates enter the job market, it's integral to recognize the importance their jobs hold and make sure others do as well. In doing so, advocacy can become more efficient and professions can offer a sense of purpose and satisfaction through the application of dignity of labor.

@dthopinion

opinion@dailytarheel.com