Office DJ: Songs to blast while speed walking to your 8 a.m.

opinion-gabi-odj
Photo Courtesy of Gabi Allen.

I am not a morning person. I will fall asleep walking to the bus stop if White Reaper or Kxllswxtch is not playing at maximum volume through my headphones.

Not being a morning person also implies that if I have a class before 11 a.m., I am going to be running late, without a doubt. I will be speed walking to the bus stop, hoping to avoid the embarrassing jog when the bus pulls up just a little too soon.

I swear listening to rock or rap gives me a significant speed boost in the mornings. If “Satellite” by Harry Styles is playing, I am going to be late. If “BULLETPROOF” by TOKYO'S REVENGE is playing, I will make it to class with time to spare.

To preface, I used to hate loud, in-your-face music. Every morning during my first two years of high school, my brother would blast awful rap music for the full 40-minute drive to school. My 14-year-old self would sit in the passenger seat, covering my ears and fighting off a headache before the sun even came up. I did not understand the importance of aggressively loud music on a school morning until I was behind the wheel myself at 6 a.m. 

Some of my go-to artists for music that will put some pep in my step include White Reaper, FIDLAR and The Beatles.

I discovered the rock band White Reaper back in 2021 when it came to Cat’s Cradle. I was already a fan walking into the Carrboro concert venue, but after seeing lead singer Tony Esposito shred guitar while lying on the stage floor, I was already dreading having to wait for the band's next tour stop in North Carolina.

My friend introduced me to FIDLAR’s music last year, a punk band whose music rides the fine line between screamo and choruses that are perfect to sing along to with your friends. My current favorites are “Bad Habits,” “Flake” and “By Myself.”

From “Drive My Car” to “Revolution,” The Beatles are an obvious choice for this playlist. “Helter Skelter” is even claimed by many to be the first metal song ever recorded. However, I must include a disclaimer: do not listen to this playlist while driving or two songs in, you are going 20 over and trying to explain to Chapel Hill Police Department how “Back in the U.S.S.R.” by The Beatles is to blame.