Ian Jackson, the No. 2 overall prospect in the 2024 class, commits to UNC men's basketball

Lewis-010423-WFBBALL-21.jpg
UNC head coach, Hubert Davis, gestures to his players in the Dean Smith Center on Jan. 4, 2023, against the Wake Forest Deamon Deacons.

Ian Jackson, the No. 2 overall prospect in the Class of 2024, announced his commitment to the UNC men's basketball program on Monday afternoon. Jackson chose UNC over offers from Kentucky, Arkansas, LSU and Oregon. 

Jackson is the first top-five player in the Class of 2024 to announce his commitment. The No. 2 player in his position and class, he is only ranked behind the uncommitted Tre Johnson in the 247Sports Composite Rating.

Jackson received an offer from North Carolina in June, and has since visited Chapel Hill twice — most recently on Jan. 6.

The announcement took place live on ESPNU at halftime of the Montverde-Sunrise Christian matchup in the Hoophall Classic. Jackson revealed his decision by unzipping his jacket, showing a UNC shirt underneath.

"In 2024, I'll be heading to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill," Jackson said. "Let's get it."

Jackson, a six-foot-four, 5-star shooting guard out of the Bronx, N.Y., attends Cardinal Hayes High School. His announcement gives UNC its second five-star commitment in a month after point guard Elliot Cadeau announced his commitment on Dec. 28. Both Cadeau and Jackson are ranked in the top 10 in the Class of 2024.

North Carolina now has the No. 1 ranked recruiting class in the 2024 cycle, as Jackson and Cadeau will join the likes of No. 30 ranked James Brown and No. 49 ranked Drake Powell.

While Jackson has been heralded for his driving ability, he has recently become an increasingly confident midrange shooter. While his 185-pound frame allows for lightning-fast penetration, Jackson's lengthy wingspan and lanky frame allow him to finish against physical interior defense.

On top of his well-rounded skill set, Jackson has international experience. He helped USA Basketball earn a gold medal in the 2022 FIBA U17 Basketball World Cup and averaged nearly 12 points, five rebounds and two assists in the event.

@shelbymswanson

Shelby Swanson

Shelby Swanson is the 2023-24 sports editor at The Daily Tar Heel. She has previously served as an assistant sports editor and senior writer. Shelby is a junior pursuing a double major in media and journalism and Hispanic literatures and cultures.