Carrboro Town Council discusses cemetery restrictions, new office space

20230118_Tran-city-running-out-of-arpa-7.jpg
Carrboro Town Hall is located in Carrboro, N.C., pictured here on Wednesday, Jan. 18, 2023.

During the Carrboro Town Council meeting on Tuesday, council members discussed the possibility of approving a lease for a new Town office space, as well as restricting cemetery plot sales to preserve available land.

What’s new?

• Carrboro Police Chief Chris Atack presented the Carrboro Police Department’s Quarterly Equity Report for the third quarter of 2022.
  • The Town Council discussed approving a request to allow the town manager to sign a three-year office lease agreement with Carr Mill Mall Limited Partnership. The lease is for an office space that would be used for Town operations.
    • Council member Eliazar Posada said he would rather the Town invest in nonprofit organizations like CommunityWorx which supports people of color and low-income community members. Council member Barbara Foushee said she would not be voting to approve the contract for similar reasons.
    • “I won’t be voting for it either because I think we would be better served to pour our money into a nonprofit that is run by women of color,” Foushee said. “The lease dollars would flow back into the community in multiple ways through a nonprofit, and so also who we do business with is truly a reflection of our value system.”
  • Cemetery improvements and plot use were discussed for a large portion of the meeting. Both the Town Council and community members discussed restricting plot sales of Westwood Cemetery, which has only 102 burial plots remaining.
    • Potential options for cemetery plot restriction were presented:
      • Limit cemetery plots to Carrboro residents only. In the past 20 years, 86 percent of sold burial plots were purchased by Carrboro residents.
      • Limit plot sales to those with family members buried at Westwood Cemetery.
      • Only sell burial plots for deceased individuals in imminent need.
      • Limit the number of plots sold to an individual citizen.
      • Limit plot sales to individuals living within a specified distance from Westwood Cemetery.
    • The discussion of possible cemetery plot sale restrictions began with a public comment from Bob Proctor, who said he wanted to suspend sales for future-use plots.
    • "Why make contracts going 20 years forward when we don’t know what we will be doing in two years?” Proctor said.
    • Posada said his biggest concern with suspending sales was the idea of the Town Council restricting someone’s ability to bury their family members in Carrboro.
    • “I don’t want to have the Town in any way, shape, or form be a place where they can restrict someone’s ability to be with their family when there’s still space available,” Posada said. 

What decisions were made?

• Carrboro Mayor Damon Seils proclaimed February as Black History Month in Carrboro. 
    • “Black History Month certainly is every month,” Foushee said. “It’s a time to celebrate our very rich history. We are American history. But for me, it’s also a time of reflection.”
  • The Town Council unanimously adopted a resolution to condemn violence against the LGBTQ+ community in Carrboro and North Carolina as a whole.
  • The council unanimously voted to approve the consent agenda. 
  • Five council members voted in favor of approving the lease agreement between the Town of Carrboro and Carr Mill Mall Limited Partnership. Two members — Posada and Foushee — voted against approving the contract.
  • The council unanimously approved a motion to hold a work session in the coming months to further discuss possibilities for reaching a compromise on Westwood Cemetery. 
  • The council unanimously approved proposed cemetery improvements, including the replacement of the fence around Old Carrboro Cemetery.

What’s next?

• The Carrboro Town Council will meet for a work session on Feb. 14.

@averysnotabaker