Crumbl Cookies holds grand opening for Franklin Street location

20230210_richards_city-crumbl-opening-34-2.jpg
Crumbl Cookies on Franklin Street held its official opening on Feb. 10, 2023. Photo By DTH/Grace Richards

Chapel Hill's first-ever and highly-anticipated Crumbl Cookies held a grand opening for its Franklin Street location on Feb. 10.

After months of speculation about when the store would open, community members, Town officials, members of the media and law enforcement gathered to witness the event.The grand opening featured a ribbon cutting with about 30 people in attendance. 

Crumbl Cookies was founded in 2017 in Logan, Utah, and has since grown to more than 500 locations in more than 40 states. 

The new Chapel Hill location is locally owned and operated and offers dozens of job opportunities, according a press release.

“Crumbl’s mission statement is to bring friends and family together over the best box of cookies in the world,” Josh Watson, one of the store's co-owners, said at the opening.

Josh Watson, Cristen Watson and Craig and Rebecca Church co-own the location.

“We’re here to support the community like we’re looking forward to the community supporting us,” Rebecca Church said.

Craig Church said the co-owners would love for Crumbl Cookies to be a part of student activities, such as athletic events and Greek life, as well as family, company and other organizational events.

“We’re super excited to be here," Rebecca Church said. "We love the University, we love the Tar Heels, we love being a part of a tight-knit community.”

Rebecca Church said the business has hired about 65 crew members, including shift leads, assistant managers, area managers and bakers. In the upcoming weeks, the business will also hire several delivery drivers.

“It’s a really positive work environment, it’s a great team to be a part of,” Hailey Kasten, the store manager, said.

According to Craig Church, Crumbl Cookies has established an organization to help employees of varying skill levels become more proficient at their jobs, since the business is growing quickly.

“We teach everyone all the different stations,” he said. “So if you’ve never baked before, you can come in here and learn how to bake, and be a fairly proficient baker when you leave.”

Crumbl Cookies is open from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Monday through Thursday and from 8 a.m. to 12 a.m. on Friday and Saturday. The location will be closed on Sunday.

Customers may place orders in-person during the first five business days following Crumbl Cookies’ opening. From Feb. 15, orders for delivery, curbside pickup and catering can be made through the Crumbl app or website. 

Crumbl Cookies’ menu operates on a rotating basis. Each week, six of the company’s 200 plus unique cookie flavors are offered to customers. New flavors are announced on Crumbl Cookies' social media accounts every Sunday at 8 p.m.

Watson said customers visit the store not just to purchase cookies but also because of the Crumbl Cookies experience. 

“It makes people happy, and so that’s really why we’re here and why we’re doing this,” he said. 

Craig Church said his favorite cookie flavor is cornbread because, growing up, he loved when his mother made cornbread.

“It’s not too dense, and it’s not too sweet either," he said. "It’s just the perfect cookie." 

Kasten said the pecan pie cookie is a nostalgic reminder of her childhood.

“Pecan pie is something that I loved as a child so it just brings back good memories,” she said. 

This week, Crumbl Cookies is offering special cookie flavors for Valentine’s Day, including Valentine confetti and chocolate-covered strawberry. There will also be Valentine’s Day-themed gift cards, gift-wrapping options and pink sweets.

“Valentine’s Day is our busiest day of the year, so it’s a lot of fun,” Craig Church said.

More in Business

More in Chapel Hill