Column: The ultimate guide to Valentine's Day

opinion-valentines-day-plans.png
DTH Graphic. Gabi Allen.

Valentine's Day is just around the corner, and many of you are stressed. The day dedicated to showing that special someone how you feel through a series of activities and gifts can be daunting. Especially if you're on a budget. Or if you're in a long-distance relationship. Or if you're in a new relationship. Or if you're not even in a relationship at all. Whether you are single, dating or not wanting to break the bank, I have the ultimate Valentine's Day guide for you. 

To those on a budget

A successful Valentine's Day has no price tag attached, so don't let that get in your head. In fact, these low-budget activities are where core memories are made.

1. Pick out some pictures of the two of you, print them at Walgreens and write sweet notes on the back. Pictures cost as low as 28 cents per image.

2. Go to a drive-in movie theater. Fill your trunk with blankets and some of your favorite movie treats. At Raleigh Road Outdoor Theater, you can get in at $10 per person for a double feature!

3. Have a picnic — I know it's cold, but who said you always have to have your picnic outside? Order your favorite food, light some candles and put on a classic rom-com. This is just as, if not more, romantic than your five-star restaurant down the street. 

To those in a long-distance relationship

Luckily UNC has finally recognized this national holiday and has made this year's Valentine's Day a well-being day. To those in a long-distance relationship, hopefully you can take advantage of the day off to spend it with your loved one. But if you can't, then I have just the thing for you.

1. Send your significant other a box filled with their favorite goodies. Get their favorite candy and some fuzzy socks, jewelry or sweet things that make you think of them. It doesn't matter how much you spend, the gesture will make their heart feel full. 

2. Use delivery services. Cookie and flower delivery are sentimental gestures to make your person feel extra special on this day of love. Just Google what places deliver to their location. Thank you, corporate America.

3. This is a MUST — write a card. Yes, handwritten. If you can't be there to spend the day with them, your handwritten words will make them feel a little closer to you. And it's something they can hold onto for a very long time. 

To those in a new relationship

Okay yeah, V-Day can be a little awkward. I'm sure you're thinking, "Do I even get them something? I just don't want to be overwhelming." I've got just the thing for you.

1. Jewelry, candy, a small, adorable little teddy bear, a love letter, a sentimental keychain: just something to make them feel special. 

2. Remember, Etsy and Target are your best friends.

To those not in a relationship...

Remember, Valentine's Day isn't all about romance, it's about love. Get together with those you love and celebrate!

1. Watch movies and eat candy in your pajamas.

2. Dress up in your favorite Valentine's Day outfit and go to dinner at one of your favorite spots. 

3. Have a Valentine's Day party. Throw it back to the first grade and bring cards and candy to all your friends. Decorate a shoebox to put all your goodies in. Who knows, maybe you'll even have a secret admirer?

Now all of this said, you need to make your person/people feel special. Don't be generic. You know them better than most people do. Tell them how they make you feel. Take them where you know they would want to go. All of the ideas above are fun and exciting, but ultimately you know what's going to make them happy. 

And have a Happy Valentine's Day!

@oliviahenley5

opinion@dailytarheel.com