Undefeated UNC women's tennis defeats Virginia, 4-1, to open ACC play

20230127_Turner_UNC-Women's-Tennis-vs-Maryland_select-7.jpg
UNC Junior Fiona Crawley and Sophmore Carson Tanguilig celebrate a match win during the Tar Heel 4-0 victory over the Maryland Terrapins in the women's tennis matches on Friday, Jan 27 2023 at The Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center.

The No. 1 North Carolina women’s tennis team (15-0) defeated the No. 20 Virginia Cavaliers (6-3) 4-1 to open conference play on Friday in Charlottesville. 

UNC lost the doubles point for the second time this season to give the Cavaliers an early 1-0 advantage. 

Virginia’s No. 41 doubles team upset the No. 4 North Carolina duo of junior Fiona Crawley and sophomore Carson Tanguilig 6-3. On court one, No. 37 senior Elizabeth Scotty and first-year Reese Brantmeier lost 3-6 to solidify UVA’s lead. 

In singles, No. 56 Scotty tied up the scoreboard, defeating Virginia junior Sara Ziodato in straight sets. Adding an additional point for North Carolina, No. 23 senior Anika Yarlagadda pulled away with a 6-4, 6-0 victory. Finally, No. 1 Crawley and No. 7 Tanguilig clinched the match with their own respective singles wins. 

With the absence of graduate student Abbey Forbes, the Tar Heel line-up looked a little different. Stepping up to play on court five, Yarlagadda dominated the entire match-up. She continues to prove to be a valuable asset in the absence of usual starters. 

Falling in the first set 3-6, Tanguilig swept UVA’s Elaine Chervinsky 6-1 to force a final third set. Winning four of the first six game points, the sophomore developed a comfortable 4-2 lead. She completed her comeback by dominating the final two games to end the set with a 6-2 win.  

In spite of their doubles loss, Crawley’s 7-5, 6-3 victory and Tanguilig’s point officially clinched the match for North Carolina. 

Even without the cushion of the doubles point, UNC continues to come out on top. Before Tanguilig clinched the final team point, every UNC player was ahead in their respective set. The Tar Heels’ dominant performance in singles easily closed the early deficit and secured the four necessary points to allow the team to leave with a match victory. 

In addition, North Carolina continues its undefeated streak and leaves its first ACC conference match against a top-20 opponent with a victory. 

The Tar Heels will face Virginia Tech in Blacksburg on Sunday at 11 a.m.

@carolinewills03