Live-action Clue to return to Wilson Library in March

Lewis-09122022-3.jpg
Wilson Library, highlighted in Queerolina's online oral history, stands tall on Sept. 12, 2022.

Clue – the classic murder mystery game – is being brought back to Wilson Library after a three-year hiatus. 

The library began hosting a live-action Clue event in the fall of 2012. Amid the pandemic, the program could only host virtual and outdoor watch parties of the cult classic film based on the game. Now, the library is excited to welcome back the program this spring for the first time since the pandemic began. 

Clue at Wilson Library is a live-action, interactive event for students. Students will be checked in when they arrive at the library and introduced to the instructions and the structure of the game. Players will use a web-based app to answer questions. 

Alison Barnett, business services coordinator for the North Carolina Collection at Wilson Library, is a member of the “Supernatural Investigation Agency,” a committee of librarians that plans the games. Barnett said she has been involved with the program since its inception. 

She said the mystery will be a classic “whodunit,” and students will have to figure out the who, what and where by interrogating suspects, finding clues and using the team’s collective brain power to solve the mystery. 

She hopes students will have a unique, fun time at the event while also learning more about the libraries on UNC’s campus. 

“Hopefully, they're much more comfortable coming into Wilson Library, and then with that respect, any of the libraries on campus," she said. "The fact that this is staffed with library staff from across campus and University Libraries, hopefully students will be more comfortable going up and asking for help or with research. For whatever, we're there as a resource for students." 

Swathi Balaji, a first-year psychology major, said she first learned about the live-action Clue event when she visited the Undergraduate Library to study. She saw a sign advertising the program and, as an avid Clue player, knew she wanted to register. 

“I'm excited to just play the game in a different perspective. Because, usually, you only play it as a board game. And, no matter who you're with — things are just 2D, on the floor,” she said. “So, this is with real people, and there's food and prizes. It just sounds like a really fun experience.” 

María Estorino, the University librarian and vice provost for University Libraries, said interactive events at the libraries help students engage in fun activities and also learn new things. 

"There really are ways to try to get students to come into the libraries with no agenda, except to have a good time and to be in community with each other," she said. "And if you learn something about the libraries along the way, then we you know that that we accomplished all of our goals." 

Janani Ragunathan, a first-year psychology major, said she was excited to play the game in person with her friends as they work together to solve the mystery while also exploring Wilson Library.

"Probably just a better understanding of how Wilson is because I also have only been there a few times," Ragunathan said bout what she hopes to get out of the experience. "But also, maybe how to solve mysteries better, getting to know people and how to maybe do problem-solving situations." 

Barnett especially loves seeing the librarians’ hard work come to fruition in such a fun way and seeing students join in with their "infectious enthusiasm."

“It’s so much fun to see them come in, and then the difference in when they leave and how chatty and excited they are. And, what's really nice is like two weeks later, when we see one of those people come back in the building. That's always the most rewarding thing as we start to see these students come back when they hadn't been in ever before,” she said. 

Students can register to attend the event starting March 1 at 9 a.m. The live-action Clue event will be hosted on Wednesday, March 29 at 5:30 p.m. 

@madisongagnon9