Amiee N. Wall named new dean of UNC School of Government

Amiee N. Wall has been named as the new dean for the UNC School of Government, according to a campus-wide email sent Friday. She succeeds Mike Smith, the longest serving dean in recent University history, who stepped down from the role in December 2022. 

Wall will assume the role effective Feb. 27. 

“I’m both thrilled and grateful for the opportunity to lead the School of Government," Wall said in a statement. "The public officials and students we serve are intensely committed to leading and working in their communities."

She said she is looking forward to working with other members of the UNC faculty and staff to respond to the needs of North Carolina communities.

Wall has been on the staff of the School since 2001 and is the current senior associate dean as well as a professor of public law and government. She currently helps oversee administration, finances and strategic direction for the School and has expertise in social services law.

She is a two-time UNC alumna, earning her masters' at the Gillings School of Global Public Health and Juris Doctorate at the UNC School of Law. 

Before joining the University faculty, Wall worked in health care law in Washington D.C. and served as a health policy analyst in the Office of the Secretary in the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Wall is also a member of the North Carolina and District of Columbia State Bars.

"Aimee will lead the School of Government as it celebrates more than 90 years of embracing critical values including neutrality, responsiveness and nonpartisanship," Chancellor Kevin Guskiewicz and Provost Chris Clemens said in the announcement.  

UNC School of Law Dean Martin Brinkley lead the search committee for the position.