Certified candidates for 2023 UNC student body president announced

20230130_Johnson_oldwell-5
The Old Well is pictured on Monday, Jan. 30, 2023, in Chapel Hill.

Update Feb. 11 at 1:08 p.m.: The final list of certified candidates has Chris Everett and TJ Edwards on the ballot. Sam Robinson ended his campaign.

Chris Everett, Sam Robinson and TJ Edwards have been named the initial certified candidates for the 2023 student body president elections, the UNC Board of Elections announced last night. 

Corrected ballot petitions are due tonight at 7 p.m. and the final list of certified candidates will be released on Saturday. 

Early voting begins Feb. 18 and continues through Feb. 19 at 11:59 p.m. Election Day is Feb. 21.  

“Other candidates may run as write-ins but need to comply with all BOE election regulations, including submission of the Training Mechanism and the Financial Statement Form, found on the BOE’s HeelLife page,” a BOE document released last night, said. 

Per a town hall meeting with the three candidates on Tuesday, all candidates said their platforms highlight accessibility on campus, higher pay for UNC faculty and staff and reproductive justice. 

The student body president serves as a voice for all undergraduate, graduate and professional students at the University. Along with their role as an executive officer in the student government, they will also serve as an ex-officio voting member of the UNC Board of Trustees.

The elected candidate will be sworn in later this spring, succeeding current Student Body President Taliajah "Teddy" Vann. 

The list of certified candidates also includes positions for Residence Hall Association president, senior class president and vice president, Carolina Athletic Association president and Undergraduate Senate positions for the nine districts. 

@livvreilly