Diamond Heels cap off weekend sweep with 15-4 win over Stony Brook

20230303_Zinn_Baseball-12.jpg
Sophomore outfielder Vance Honeycutt (7) is up to bat during the baseball game against Stony Brook on Friday, March 13, 2023, at Boshamer Stadium. UNC beat Stony Brook 3-2.

The North Carolina baseball team (9-3) complete a series sweep of Stony Brook (0-9) with a dominant 15-4 performance in Sunday’s matinee.

Junior right-hander Jake Knapp had a smooth first inning despite a leadoff double. The UNC starter’s fastball overpowered the Seawolves' hitters, fanning one and inducing two ground balls in a scoreless frame.

The Diamond Heels’ had trouble laying off of a vanishing curveball by Stony Brook starter Eddie Smink. Disoriented by an unpredictable pitch mix, UNC fell victim to three strikeouts in the bottom of the first.

Knapp handled Stony Brook one-two-three in the second, jamming Seawolves at the plate and handling comebackers on the mound. He also tallied his second punch-out of the afternoon. 

The Diamond Heels put a 5-hole on the board in the bottom of the second. Junior right-fielder Patrick Alvarez’s plate discipline sparked the two-out slugfest for North Carolina. A botched run down by Stony Brook resulted in a double steal of second and home plate for the first UNC run. Sophomore centerfielder Vance Honeycutt returned to regular form following an 0-13 drought in the batter’s box, tattooing a fastball over the center field wall for a 417-foot, two-run shot. 

Junior third baseman Mac Horvath capitalized on a walk by stealing second base and jogging home after a second homer by junior second baseman Jackson Van De Brake. Smirk reached the end of the line after 1.2 innings pitched, but Stony Brook’s relief had no answers for junior catcher Tomas Frick’s hot bat, who doubled to center to give UNC a 5-0 lead.

Stony Brook got one back in the top of the third, as center fielder Evan Fox eked a home run just beyond the fence. Knapp rebounded and preserved a 5-1 Tar Heel lead. 

Stony Brook continued to chip-away at the UNC lead, as sophomore catcher Chris Leone went deep with two outs.

Honeycutt continued his resurgent performance with a double to left in the fifth. An error by Stony Brook’s second baseman enabled him to come around for the sixth UNC run. 

A trio of UNC relievers ran into trouble in the sixth. A bases loaded jam, including a fielder's choice and throwing error, resulted in a 6-4 score.

Van De Brake stole the show in the seventh with a three-run blast off the Boshamer scoreboard, providing UNC with much needed insurance heading into the final innings with a 9-4 advantage.

The eighth inning turned the game into a runaway. Frick continued to size up the baseball with power as UNC piled on six additional runs. First-year pinch hitter Austin Hawke doubled in his first plate appearance, driving in three to cap off the 15-4 win.

The first four hitters in the Tar Heel lineup went 10-19 Sunday. 

Van De Brake’s improbable power surge emboldened Diamond Heels’ performance, going 2-4 with two homers and five RBIs at crucial points in the contest. 

Frick enjoyed the first four-hit game of his career, launching three doubles and driving in two runs. 

Despite never relinquishing the lead, the Tar Heels’ two-run lead in the sixth was insecure. However, Van De Brake’s homer in the seventh was the catalyst for a late-game offensive onslaught by the Diamond Heels, turning the victory into a no-doubter. 

As UNC opens power five conference play versus Penn State on Wednesday, the Tar Heels aim to extend their win streak with victories over Stony Brook and Western Carolina. 

The Diamond Heels take on Western Carolina in a standalone contest on March 7th at 4 p.m.